Mixed species aviary?

Moderator: Mods

Afraz

Mixed species aviary?

Post by Afraz »

Hello guys, I currently have a 2 week old IRN. He (or she, we'll just have to wait and see :) ) is the fuzziest and cutest thing, and just loves snuggling in my fingers!
Anyways, my friend has quite a few cockatiels, and a pair of them laid eggs. He doesn't have any more space for them, and he put them up for adoption. He brought them over and my baby seems alright with them. The thing is, will there be problems in the future? I have no plans to permanently keep them in a cage. They'll either be in an aviary outside, or I'll give them their own room to fly around in, with trees and whatnot.
Will they fight later on as they grow older?

And if it's safe to keep these two together, what about any other species, like budgies or African Greys?

Thanks
Melika

Re: Mixed species aviary?

Post by Melika »

You won't ever know until something goes badly. Every bird is an individual. Maybe they will get along, maybe they won't.

Personally I am wary, because of the damage that can be done. A cockatiel can rip the beak off of a budgie- imagine what a mad IRN could do??? They are wild animals in a cage. We cannot predict what will happen for you.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

I have read female IRNs have killed mates as well as rejected male suitors. I am sure under the correct circumstance a male could also kill. Just letting you know the worst case scenarios have happened and with much larger cage mates then you are describing. Consider how you will feel if something does happen...
Mary
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Yes, I do agree regarding the hormones and also potential rivalry. Like most things, do your research, know what the pros and cons are, and then be prepared to deal with them or suffer the consequences. I know I have mentioned in some of my posts that I have an IRN and a sun conure. They were fledged together by the same breeder. I was warned this 'sibling' relationship may not last and to be very wary. The birds are now four and although there is no 'problem' yet, I do see that Skye - the IRN - wants more undivided attention without the sun conure being closest to me. If ignored, I could see this being a problem. I have also noticed there are times when the sun conure does not want to be near the IRN anymore. I believe he is either seeing the IRN pinning or some other body language. I have started to slowly cage them separately again. They chose to be together before, so I would lock them in together. Although, they are still currently sleeping in the same cage at night, I am making sure I open the door to the cage before they become too restless. I am starting to cage them separately for a few hours each day so that eventually they will sleep in side by side cages the way it used to be. They will be able to chose how much personal space they require during the day while they are out. Both are flighted so they can easily move away.
Mary