How to build a suspended avairy?

Moderator: Mods

DavidAdelaide

How to build a suspended avairy?

Post by DavidAdelaide »

Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone could point me towards either a website or a instructional book to purchase that is recommended to assist me in building my own suspended avairy. Any diagrams / pictures of other members aviaries would be ideal to assist me in learning. (all of my aviaries are conventional atm, but consistent rodent issues are starting to make me frustrated).

Looking forward to all the information / inspiration / recommendations that can be thrown my way...

Thanks,
David
JimHcctx

Re: How to build a suspended avairy?

Post by JimHcctx »

You might try looking at the Group Pages of Facebook. They do have a group entitled Aviary Design, Construction and management. that shares a lot of projects and will provide lots of input with posed questions.

The other things I have found helpful are doing image searches using 100 or so of your favorite key words which provides a lot of information. Also, YouTube has some 77000 or so videos on parrots and aviary's. Again, the more creative you are using key words for your search criteria your results will improve. Collecting pictures of best practices and visiting others aviaries and seeing what people like and don't like also help.

I am just the opposite of you, I have some 75+ suspended cages and long for the abilities that walk in flights allow for.

Regardless of style, rodent control needs to be addressed. I was dealing with Sark from possums and finally gave up. I just moved my birds to a farm (No possums). Now dealing with Hawks, Owls, raccoons, Foxes. Multi-layer protection and vigilance seem to be helping, (numbers caught, killed, or captured and released keep rising). Mice and Rat poison seem to help me when my birds were in the city and dealing with that. The hawks, owls, foxes and snakes all seem to be great mousers as well. Others I have seen use cats, little dogs like the rat terrier, and chickens for added protection. With suspended cages, box turtles also seem to clean up the mess nicely but hibernate.

Good Luck!
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Box turtles! How unexpected!
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I've seen guinea pigs used here...very effective.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D