How to set up a bird room and minimize mess on the floor

Moderator: Mods

Little Buttercup

How to set up a bird room and minimize mess on the floor

Post by Little Buttercup »

I would like to make the bird room a really lovely place for the birds, but don't know where to start. At the moment it is quite empty and there is plenty of space that they can use. I have the 2 cages, 2 playtrees a small cupboard, 2 small pot plants and a 1 metre size table, that I want to make a play area out of, in the room. I will be making new trees and will have some extra branches as well. Some are big enough to place as is on the floor and they can play on it.

But does anyone have ideas on how to make it easy to clean under the branches, besides taking it all out of the room and washing the floor? The branch is quite big and i'm not keen on moving it around daily for cleaning. In some areas I use newspaper where they tend to mess alot, anything more neat and tidy looking?

Those of you who have bird-friendly rooms, can you please share some pics? I want them to make full use of the entire space. I don't have anything hanging from the ceiling at the moment. Ideas and ideas is what I want. I did a google search but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance

Ash
Donovan

Re: How to set up a bird room and minimize mess on the floor

Post by Donovan »

Buy a roll of plastic. You can get it for about $10-$12
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

I was going to say the same-ish. A bit/roll of Lino, cut to whatever length you like in whatever pattern you fancy to match the room maybe, and pull it out, roll it up and take it away to clean.
Loo :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I have pvc table cloth stuff under Nilas tree. It's good because it doesn't blow around like news paper when they fly low. I find lino is easier to clean though and can be vacuumed without being sucked up.
I also got a roll of really awesome 70s vinyl wall paper from an op shop, for under the curtain rails. It is an extraordinarily ugly brick pattern that rather suits our ugly, brick living room! It wipes down really easily too.
MissK

Post by MissK »

It is an extraordinarily ugly brick pattern that rather suits our ugly, brick living room! It wipes down really easily too.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I put newspaper on the floor under the hanging perch and in front of the cage when the bird comes out. Actually, it's expired weekly newsprint ads from the supermarket. Free, plentiful, disposable. I recycled some clear plastic from some poster frames for the top of my cages under the big branch. Besides the occasional quick spray and wipe, the vacuum and the dogs take care of the rest.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

I use newspaper at the moment but don't like it when it flies up after Kiwi takes flight and gives Coco fright. I think the lino is a good thing and I can use the tablecloth pvc for the trees. Claire, I think I saw somewhere here a tree you made but I can't find it, can you please send me the link or tell me in which section it is in? Thanks

Ash
Little Buttercup

Thanks Claire for the link.

Ash