More than one cage?

Moderator: Mods

Socket

More than one cage?

Post by Socket »

I am interested in knowing your thoughts and opinions on having multiple cages for my Couda. He is 3.5 months old and I've had him for one week. He stayed in a small cage for the first 5 days while we waited for his large cage to be delivered. This small cage fits on my dresser and was convenient to have in the bedroom at night so that we could monitor that our kitties were not pestering Couda through the night. They haven't bothered him at all through the day, but we just weren't willing to accept the risk of them pulling the cage over or frightening Couda while we are sleeping.
The new cage is very large, and it is on wheels, but it is inconvenient to move it from the living room where it is kept during the day, into our room at bedtime.
Are there any negative potential outcomes from using his large flight cage through the day, and leaving the small cage in our room to "tuck" Couda into at bedtime? Any opinions are appreciated and will be considered carefully.

Thanks!
MissK

Re: More than one cage?

Post by MissK »

Hi Socket,

As you know I am totally behind the use of a big flight cage during the day. :D :D :D

A sleep cage in your bedroom would be a good way for Couda to spend safe, quality down time with you. I think it would benefit your relationship as well.

Perhaps others who also keep cats could offer suggestion on how they control safety.

Has anybody else got some thoughts about the use of a sleep cage in the bedroom and flight cage during the day?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I don't do it myself, but I think some people use it as a strategy to try to decrease breeding season behavior.
We have considered doing something similar with Nila, because he loves sleeping in our bedroom. The only problem for us trying not to make too much noise when we go to bed. ... and he is a pretty good mimic, if he only learnt to snore we would consider ourselves very lucky. ...

When I was a child my cat was always plotting to get into my mouse habitat, even though he knew to leave them alone when we were in sight or giving them supervised out of cage time.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My avian vet advocated having a sleeping cage for our birds (can't remember why). I haven't implemented it at this stage though.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

InTheAir wrote:I don't do it myself, but I think some people use it as a strategy to try to decrease breeding season behavior.
We have considered doing something similar with Nila, because he loves sleeping in our bedroom. The only problem for us trying not to make too much noise when we go to bed. ... and he is a pretty good mimic, if he only learnt to snore we would consider ourselves very lucky. ...

When I was a child my cat was always plotting to get into my mouse habitat, even though he knew to leave them alone when we were in sight or giving them supervised out of cage time.

Wonder what Nila's mimic mastery would produce during a dinner party :lol:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

How embarrassing that would be! I saw a meme of that, I'll try to find it and email you.