NUTS About Foraging

Moderator: Mods

Doodlebug

NUTS About Foraging

Post by Doodlebug »

So I'm experimenting with all kinds of shelled nuts to keep Dudes occupied, I have bashed Walnuts a bit to make them easier for him to open, Brazils need a good bashing too but I find they split right apart so kind of defeats the object trying to keep his beak busy. Hazelnuts are too hard for him too, and I'm not sure about Pistachios as I've read something about bacteria in the roasted..? Anybody know if they are OK to give?

I need suggestions about other shelled nuts I could use in foraging, they seem ideal to use. Kind of like giving a Kinder Egg to a child with a surprise inside. Any other suggestions food-wise would be great too-thanks guys :)
Loo :)
MissK

Re: NUTS About Foraging

Post by MissK »

We've had a lot of fun with nuts in shell that I drilled and hung on cord. Rocky got nuts and I got to use my drill - happiness all around!

He cannot even break into an almond without help, and some pistachios are too tightly closed for him to open. Keeps trying, though, and I see that as good.

If you hear any more about roasted pistachios please advise - one of Rocky's favourite treats!
-MissK