Babysitter while out of town? what can (should) be done??

Moderator: Mods

Donovan

Babysitter while out of town? what can (should) be done??

Post by Donovan »

I do utility work. At any time i could be sent out of town to work for over a month.

I've had my bird for a year and a half and luckily I haven't had to go out of town in that time, but it is a very real possibility.

I don't have anyone I can trust with my bird for that period of time. I won't tolerate sending him to a friend or relative that would only be able to keep him couped up in his cage the whole time and feeding him bird seed.

Is it realistic to look for an outside source for this event? Maybe pay someone to not only take him while I'm gone, but to take care of him with proper feeding (fruits, grains, vegetables, meats) and give him attention and let him out to exercise?

Leaving town amounts to earning good money if a major storm hits somewhere. I would hate to miss out on that because I need to stay home and make sure the bird gets out of his cage and gets to play and exercise and eat well.
Donovan

Re: Babysitter while out of town? what can (should) be done?

Post by Donovan »

(To be clear I'm not trying to find a babysitter here on the forum, just wondering if getting bird savvy strangers to take care of a bird is something people do)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Perhaps you should consider joining a bird club in your local area and seeing if you can find a kindred spirit who would look after your little guy. Someone else to think about would be seeing if the person you got your bird from would be interested in looking after him, if they would are suitable.

Where I live there are a couple of Bird Boarding services that will look after your birds. Most of them require an up to date avian vet check before they will let your bird board, so it's a good idea if you proactively get one of those done.

Ellie.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

and another option would be to find a house sitter who will look after your bird well. Generally your bird will feel more comfortable if left in his normal environment.

Ellie.