17 day old baby IRNs weaning?

Moderator: Mods

jessicaz

17 day old baby IRNs weaning?

Post by jessicaz »

Hi guys, I have two precious baby IRNs and they seem to be going off their formula, they are 17days old, (2weeks 3days). This was their feed before bedtime for the night so I was a bit worried (using vetafarm, temp was 37degrees as prescribed) so I decided to warm up some banana and mash it up and the were little piggies! Going to bed with full crops now so I'm happy, but is this ok? They did their normal grunting noises and are now fast asleep :) their weight is increasing day by day and stools are fine.
InTheAir

Re: 17 day old baby IRNs weaning?

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Jessicaz,
I'm afraid I have no knowledge of feeding babies, but I suggest you post hand feeding questions in the section called "breeding Indian ringnecks" where it will be noticed by experienced breeders who can help.

Regards,
Claire
jessicaz

Post by jessicaz »

Ok I will thank you Claire
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi Jessica...just noticed your post.

2 weeks is definitely too young to be weaning. But it is perfectly acceptable to mash or purée veggies and fruits into the formula to get them to eat it. Try to stick to simple fruits like bananas, and starches like sweet potatoes, and veggies like squash and peas and corn. They won't upset the babies stomach. You can feed from a spoon or a cup and make sure the temp stays at 37 degrees consistently. Make sure that the consistency is smooth up until about week 5 or 6 and then you can start making it chunkier. Hope that helps :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

jessicaz

Post by jessicaz »

Thank you so much Skye :)) they took the formula better today but still not as much as I would like.. I have been keeping a weight chart and I think they are little fatties! When I got them on the 28/9/13 they were 9days old and weighed 36grams and 37grams.. I have kept a thorough record weighing them in the morning before their first feed and today at 18 days old they are 96grams and 97grams!!! So I think they will not starve if they have cut down a couple of mls every feed!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi Jessica, what molossus says is important. Sour crop is not something you want to see your birds go through. Also with the weight...it's not so much the end weight amount that matters, but the steady weight gain. As long as they are showing a steady increase you're fine. Somewhere around the time they fledge, they will decrease food intake a bit and you will see a slight decrease in weight. This is completely normal. It should happen around 6-7 weeks. Pictures please :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

jessicaz

Post by jessicaz »

Thank you so much molossus and Skye :) their crops are empty every time I feed them the only timei would feed them when they are not empty is their feed before bed time but that has never happened :) yes they are kept warm and like to cuddle their little soft toy friend