Willow and her food bowls

Moderator: Mods

BrendaDup

Willow and her food bowls

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi, Willow spends hours at the bottom of her cage just looking up at herself and hitting the cup she just started this a month ago, at first she would just stare now she is getting angry and it puts her in a bad mood . Any ideas on what to do? the cage I have has the metal cups ,I am going to see if I can find ceramic /glass ones that will fit . I thought of finding non toxic spray paint and just spray the outside ? Anyone else have this problem?
Dixie-1

Re: Willow and her food bowls

Post by Dixie-1 »

We have metal cups we got at the "feed and Grain" store they look like they are Galvanized ? and are non reflective. Hope that helps :P
Just takin a break !

BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi, I took a sander to mine and just dulled the outside. so we will see what she does. Thanks
MissK

Post by MissK »

Dixie-1, you need to know if they are, indeed, galvanized. Ask the seller. If yes, bird must be protected from the toxic zinc component. I've read both scrub with vinegar and leave outside for months to weather. Maybe the Forum or Google can give more reliable suggestion. Even better would be to swap for stainless steel. Check the Drs Foster and Smith website because the prices are great. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ Note Well - these are very shiny, so you might get that birdie-in-the-reflection thing that Willow's doing. Still beats the chance of slow poison in my book.

Best wishes!
-MissK
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

MissK wrote:Dixie-1, you need to know if they are, indeed, galvanized. Ask the seller. If yes, bird must be protected from the toxic zinc component. I've read both scrub with vinegar and leave outside for months to weather. Maybe the Forum or Google can give more reliable suggestion. Even better would be to swap for stainless steel. Check the Drs Foster and Smith website because the prices are great. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ Note Well - these are very shiny, so you might get that birdie-in-the-reflection thing that Willow's doing. Still beats the chance of slow poison in my book.

Best wishes!
Thanx so much MissK read your alert removed the cups and put fresh food in food bowls on floor temporarily . Hubby said I misspoke they are stamped steel, but I called the dealer and he said he wouldn't swear to it either way, but he would take them back if I didn't trust them. Long story short we took them back and Quinn is happily munching his mixed veggies seed and water out of shiny new stainless steel bowls. I would rather err on the side of caution thanx again .
Just takin a break !

MissK

Post by MissK »

A win-win-win all around! Quinn's safe, you're a satisfied customer, and your seller probably made a bit more money off the stainless.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

MissK wrote:Dixie-1, you need to know if they are, indeed, galvanized. Ask the seller. If yes, bird must be protected from the toxic zinc component. I've read both scrub with vinegar and leave outside for months to weather. Maybe the Forum or Google can give more reliable suggestion. Even better would be to swap for stainless steel. Check the Drs Foster and Smith website because the prices are great. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ Note Well - these are very shiny, so you might get that birdie-in-the-reflection thing that Willow's doing. Still beats the chance of slow poison in my book.

Best wishes!
So with galvanised metal, it will constantly be producing a light powder on the surface while exposed to oxygen, which is zinc oxide, and no amount of treatment will change that until the galvanised layer is completely gone and the metal will then rust. The websites advising to wash or put outside, are not correct.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thank you for that critical tip!
-MissK
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

MissK wrote:A win-win-win all around! Quinn's safe, you're a satisfied customer, and your seller probably made a bit more money off the stainless.
Well said MissK and thanx again :D
Just takin a break !

BrendaDup

Post by BrendaDup »

Hi , well I did take sandpaper and roughed up the shinny outside, it has helped she doesn't spend as much time down at the bottom looking up , I also got a male Cockatiel once the clean bill of health was given by a vet ,I finally put them in the same room. she just stares or plays now she doesn't seem to require all of my time , she is doing great. I think she enjoys his company especially when I have to do other things. . Brenda