New IRN mommy to be! Need a cage suggestion. Thanks

Moderator: Mods

pattiB

New IRN mommy to be! Need a cage suggestion. Thanks

Post by pattiB »

Hello all. My name is Patti. We will be getting our baby girl this Sat! I am currently cage shopping and want some suggestions from the experts as to the best choice in cage. I also would like to purchase floor play stand for two other areas of my home. Any suggestions?
I'm so excited about this! I've been craving becoming a bird mom once again. I enjoyed the companionship of a very smart cockatiel for just under 20 years! He was the highlight of our lives and our families lives. Kept us so entertained and well, it's been years since we've had another bird. Now it's time again and I wanted to step up in size, just a bit. I cannot wait to train her and teach her all I can. And just give her the BEST home she deserves. So again, nice to meet all. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions to ask in the near future. But first is my cage area and what your opinions are. I have up to 500.00 to spend but would like to of course find something for less if possible. Thanks!!!!
Patti
Melika

Re: New IRN mommy to be! Need a cage suggestion. Thanks

Post by Melika »

Is the 500$ for the cage alone, not including toys, perches, etc?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

http://www.birdscomfort.com/doubleflight_bird_cage.html

I have tried several cages. This is my favourite. Plenty of room for bird and toys, etc. Cage is longer than tall, so more useable space. Variety of doors for access to food or interior. Nest box doors used, in our case, as designated bird exit doors. Easy to construct, easy to clean. Nice shelf on the bottom, perfectly sized, in our case, for dog bed pillows. :wink: Flat top will accommodate supplemental lighting and provides space for bird to play, if you put something interesting up there. (Would not suggest anything heavy, though.)

Drawbacks: Since we use it without the center divider (and that's the point of selecting this particular cage) a lot of junk accumulates in the center crevice. Also, only the lager front doors have locks, leaving you to "lock" the others on your own. Without locking it is simple to see the bird would let himself out.
-MissK
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

It can be 500 for the whole cage but I'd like to do just a bit less and get a couple of play stands for other places in my home. I've also pondered about getting something a bit smaller for now and then purchasing a bigger more decorative one after Jan. I've seen some beautiful walnut cages but they are pricey. Do you think that would be a silly purchase? My husband really wants something pretty that would also be more like a furniture piece. I think the bird will be chewing on the wood. I've thought about maybe purchasing a nice steel cage and making a wood frame for around the edges, to make it more like hubby is seeing. I know, it sounds a bit much. We just moved into a brand new home and we are decorating. I personally don't care about the wood. But my most awesome husband see's making her (new baby, 13 weeks old) cage also beautiful at the same time. So, I'm up for ideas. I'll head over the check out the "made with love" threads now. thanks everyone!
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

another question would be if it's not a good idea to change out a cage in a few months. I just want to make sure this choice it the right one. I've got to get it ordered today. Yay!
MissK

Post by MissK »

I was also concerned about the cage being an eyesore. There isn't much to do to dress up a big metal box of air. Some of the more scrolly-ironwork cages are very pretty, and the "furniture grade" ones are pretty interesting. However the scrolly ones are small and the wood look kind of bulky to me, and that wood, well.... wood is tasty!

I addressed this issue by choosing a colour that's easy on the eyes - dark green (discontinued, I think, unfortunately). It's complementary with the green bird and the yellow walls. It's a soothing, natural colour. I have filled it with predominantly natural materials in shades of cream to dark brown. I do have a few brightly coloured plastic items, but they are all small in size. The overall look is soft, natural, soothing.  Some argue birds need bright colours for stimulation, but I do really question that, seeing how Rocky interacts with his environment. He seems far more interested in texture. And he gets a lot of colour in his food.

I would recommend you get the big cage now. Come January (less than six months from now) you likely will not want to put out a bunch of money when you have a "perfectly good", costly cage in the house already. As far as playstands, you can be quite creative for cheap at home. Go take a branch off a bird safe tree and stand it up in a Christmas tree stand. Get a bolt-on perch, drill a hole and stick it right in the wall. Use some rope and hang a branch from the ceiling. All cheap options. Remember the bird won't know or care if you bought it or made it, or how much it cost.

Setting up the cage can be a very exciting design project, and an exercise in creativity. Enjoy it.
-MissK
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Thanks and OMGoodness! She's probably going to be here Friday instead! I've got to get to work!! I like to idea of a color. I was looking at them. I'll let you know. I've got to get something ordered. Fortunately I live in the Houston area so if needed I can possibly find this cage closer so it can get here. Yikes! I'm so excited and getting a bit nervous actually. Dont know why. I've had a bird before for 20 years. :roll:
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Select Series Rancho Cage on Dr. Foster Smith...I tried to paste the link but it would'nt let me.

I really like this cage, without the seed guard on it. Do you feel it would also be sufficient for our little girl???? I like the large door and the extra playtop area. ??? Measurements Inside: 34-1/2" L x 22-3/4" W x 36-1/2" high
Thanks
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

I made a decision on a Kings Cage. It's ordered. I loved the durability and the reviews I read on it. It's the large one so hopefully she will be very happy having it for her home during the night. Now to put together some play areas thru the house. :D
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, great. What cage did you get?
Try pasting a link and then disrupting it by inserting a word, like RINGNECK in the beginning so the forum doesn't recognize it's a link? Like htRINGNECKtp, would that work?
Or leave off the www/http: - we're smart enough to add that.
Sharing your excitement!
-MissK
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

Maybe this will work. (yay, I added the pic, it worked) This cage will really not only be a great place for "Gracie Bleu" but it will also fit in with our home. Only problem is it won't be here until next week. Tomorrow I must go find a small cage to use for now. BUT.....I was wondering if anyone had an extra spot...? "quiet place" cage in their home? A second cage????. A place where maybe your IRN slept in? Somewhere I read that having another cage in a quiet part of your home would be recommended. Getting the extra cage tomorrow and actually keeping it after the bigger one gets here.
Attachments
51GnQt3NlwL.jpg
51GnQt3NlwL.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
MissK

Post by MissK »

That cage is attractive enough, I think, for hubby?

I think you're talking about a sleeping cage, which I understand can be fairly small, and a daytime or foraging cage, the main cage.

In my house there's no need, since I'm not home till very late. However, if I were here at Bird Bedtime more than once a week, I likely would want to move the bird to a quiet room. As it is, I either keep him up on that one day, or I shut the curtains that separate the rooms of the house and leave him in peace.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to give them space at night. They will wake up and be awake even if the lights are out, so long as there is activity in the area. My bird is awakened every night as I come home from work, but that's the price he pays for being so overprivileged in other areas of his lifestyle.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Oh I love that cage :D Gracie Bleu is going to be one spoiled little IRN!! I'm happy to see you got the advice you were looking for :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

MissK, that site that you gave has really good prices. I might be able to get Joey that new cage I have been wanting to get her. When I bought Joeys cage I definitely bought one that is too small. Luckily it hasn't really come into issue. She is never actually inside of it, unless she wants to be.

PattiB, Congratulations on your new baby :mrgreen: ! I love the name you chose, so cute! Both my Quaker and Ringneck have sleep cages. They are in the bedroom, so the birds can still get a good night sleep even if I cannot go to bed at the same time they do. I personally think that sleep cages are a good idea. Both of the sleep cages I have can double as long distance travel cages, in case we ever decide to go on a vacation together (take them to go see their birdie "cousins") :lol:
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

I talked with one of the main guys from that site, not just a "phone answerer". He seemed like a really hands-on businessman, interested in helping me get what I wanted, especially as I wanted something that was in short supply (discontinued color). As I recall I had to pay for the item and the shipping in separate charges, just how they were set up to work, since shipping is different depending on the destination. I would absolutely shop with them again. The cage I got, however, is available from other venues.
-MissK
pattiB

Post by pattiB »

I didn't even think of a weekend travel cage. The one I picked up this morning is 25 x 21 x 32. It will serve well for my weekend visits to my moms. Thanks for pointing that out. It's all set up now except for a few things. I also got just a small play yard for now and I bought a very nice heavy weighted basket for a perch in the other room. I got a towel rack dryer too! Going to see what I can create out of it for in my "MOM CAVE".
Countdown is at about 18 hours till we pick her up! :wink: :P
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I love the energy and excitement. It's infectious :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D