Prickly Pear

Moderator: Mods

sanjays mummi

Prickly Pear

Post by sanjays mummi »

When I visited my Asian fruit and veg stall today for Sanjays bitter melon etc, they had Prickly Pears, so I thought I would try him with them, he didn't even give them "the eye", that funny sideways stare he usually gives something new, but tucked in straight away, does anyone else feed them to their IRN's?
MissK

Re: Prickly Pear

Post by MissK »

Woah, I just picked up prickly pear AND bitter melon for Rocky! What a coincidence! Looks like I'll be eating the bitter melon myself...... I'll give him the cactus tomorrow. And, speaking of obnoxiously headstrong food, I also just got Tamarind. Wow. Can't wait to see how he handles that! Need to know if he can have the seed, though.
-MissK
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay prefers bitter melon when the inside is red in colour, how he instinctively knows beats me. I haven't seen Tamarind in the UK as yet, but if it is safe, and I do come across it, he can give that a try too.
Melika

Post by Melika »

Should I feel bad that we kept all the prickly pear to ourselves this time? XD

*Added the 'Also Known As' list to Cactus Fruit in http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... f=3&t=8078
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Tssk, tssk! How much could a little birdie eat!
-MissK
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

I so need to visit my local Asian store! I want to try this prickly pear! Well for the birdie anyway lol.

What other fruit is it most like? A fig maybe? I notice they're in season at the moment.
Loo :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Absolutely!, Sanjay adores them, and out of season I give him dried ones from the health food store, full of yummy seeds!