IRN Advice PLEASE!!

Moderator: Mods

Djmcumbria

IRN Advice PLEASE!!

Post by Djmcumbria »

Hi all,

I purchased a Grey Male IRN today, I have been looking everywhere for one of these guys and I finally found one although he was 135 miles away in a cage and in a petshop!! but I had a friend who lives down there pop in and see him and he said to go for it so we drove down this morning from Carlisle in Cumbria (UK) to Manchester to get him.

when we got to the store I seen him and he was perfect. I have been told his is last years hatch although I was concerned because he has a black ring? however it's not thick and he said that they start to get the ring from around a year? however I don't know much about the breed physically just mainly through tons & tons of research online.

I bought the food he is on and to be honest both bags contain loads of black and white seeds and I read that seeds are infact very fatty, he told me this is what they mainly eat so this is right and if not what mix should I be giving him (aswell as friut and veg)

Thanks for your time.

Dan
MissK

Re: IRN Advice PLEASE!!

Post by MissK »

Hi. I think if your bird hatched last year in February, he could be starting his ring (18 months). If the ring gets more developed over the coming year, then the age is quite possibly accurate. If there is a leg band, information there may shed some important light on the age question.

You can flip those food bags over and read the ingredients. If you post them here, in the same complete order they appear on the bag, we can advise you better on that particular seed mix. It is very likely that your bird will love those sunflower seeds so much he will refuse to eat anything else. Please don't let that happen.

You may have noticed a debate in the bird keeping community on the use of seed and the use of pellet. On one hand, seeds (especially those black and white sunflower seeds) can be fatty, and an excess of them is generally agreed to be detrimental. Seed does have a place in the diet of many birds, however. Some birds seem to eat fruit just to get at the seeds. Some birds naturally eat green (not dried like we get in the bag) grass seeds. Many, many birds eat green leaves. Do your research, make up your mind. I can tell you that all my birds get seeds every day. They also get other foods, which brings me to pellets.

Pellets vary greatly in their ingredients and potential utility. No pellet helps if it is not eaten. Pellets, like commercial dog food, are made of a mix of ingredients. Various compounds are added to make them more nutritious than they become after the pellet making process is complete. Grains feature prominently in pellets, and a case has been made by some that grains are not really what the bird should be eating. However, pellets have added compounds that may ensure the bird gets a variety of nutrients that would not be provided if the bird were on a seed-only diet. There is anecdotal evidence that pellets do not sit well with some birds, and actually do harm. My parrots get some pellets several times a week, more to keep them in the habit of eating pellets than because I think pellets are so great.

What do I think IS really great? Fresh fruits and vegetables, specifically plenty of dark green leaves and a variety of naturally coloured foods, especially in the orange (colour) group. I don't think there are many anymore who will not recognize that our birds need fresh foods. This is why my birds also get fresh greens and some kind of additional coloured fruits and vegetables daily. However, they can be picky, and so there is always seed available. I don't want them to starve because I didn't notice they want nothing to do with peppers that day.

So, to recap, I give my birds some seeds, some pellets, some fresh greens, some other fruits and vegetables, and even some grain. I also toss in the odd Nutriberry for fun, and sunflower seeds and nuts for treat. I want them to get a broad variety in their nutrition, and I don't want to overload them with any one thing.

Congratulations on getting your perfect bird. I'm sure you will just love him.

-MissK
-MissK
Djmcumbria

Post by Djmcumbria »

Hi Miss K.

Thanks for the response, it was a great help and I will be sure to take all the information on board. the food I got from the pet store does not have an ingredients on the bag as it just seems to be a loose bag full of mix. 1 bag looks like buggie mix only with sun flower seeds running through it, the other bag is dry fuit and veg with sun flower seeds running through them also.

Is their a brand you could recommend?

Dan
MissK

Post by MissK »

I prefer ABBA seed Cockatiel mix with no sunflower seed. But there are others that are fine as well. Try for a mix that is not predominantly millet or sunflower.

-MissK
-MissK