Food IRN

Moderator: Mods

viperex

Food IRN

Post by viperex »

Hi guys from uk bought my first irn about 2 weeks ago he is 8 months old lovely boy called Rico. The person who i bought him off only feed him by his eating habits sunflower seeds and apples he loves them ive given him monkey nuts and reading more about there diets i want to give him some veg also. I got him some carrots broccoli sweetcorn snap peas i boiled them for a bit, bit softer for him not much interested in them can you give me any tips as i want him to have a varied diet not just seed and apples. ive taken out the container which had seed and left him with the veg hope he gets a bit hungry and starts eating them (not cruel is it)
Wakizashi21

Re: Food IRN

Post by Wakizashi21 »

HI,

Im in the same situation. Well sort off getting out of it...but i normally leave some seeds with pellets in one cup...(trying to slowly introduce them to him) and then i left a apricot in the other dish whole and he nibbles on it all the time slowly....

Its really fun watching them eat. Great satisfaction i would call it but it is ahrd work at first. best way to introduce is slowly and gradually.
viperex

Post by viperex »

tnx for your reply m8 i just tried putting in the same bowl a few seeds and what he did was chucked all the veg out and found the few seeds i put in :) clever boy
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

My bird LOVES fresh peas. frozen peas too. and Kale. Leafy greens are good for them. I gave him Parsley yesterday and he ate it. Keep trying the corn. I can't imagine he won't love it once he gives it a try.
Other forum goers have consistently made the point, you have to give them as much variety as early as you can to make sure they don't turn into picky eaters. They may still end up picky even so. And another point, just because they don't like it one day, doesn't mean they won't like it the next. It's like us. Sometimes I just don't want to eat oatmeal for breakfast--I'd rather have toast.
viperex

Post by viperex »

tnx for reply ranechild will keep on trying don't worry about love him to bits , just gace have a nice spray bath he dont like going in bowl so he gets on my arm and with my hands spray lukewarm water loves it opens his wings :D how many times should do this a week
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

I have noticed that my three watch me very intently when I am eating, so if I want them to try something new, I will eat it slowly in front of them, then nonchalantly put a piece of the food in their food bowl or on their treat stick. It's a guaranteed way for me to get them to at least pick it up :)
Dana
~Dana