Cornices

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Cornices

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,

It might just be Neles hobby, but he has just decided to started nibbling on the cornices (that we had repaired) after months of not touching them. He has also started nibbling on the brick wall also.

I was wondering if there could be something lacking in his diet that he finds in cornices and bricks?

He has a calcium perch (which he hates) in his cage and cuttlefish by his play perches. Most of his perches are bottlebrush with bark to chew on.

He has roudybush pellets available at all times in his cage, but also gets a variety of fresh and cooked vegetables. He usually has a combination of pellets, porridge, quinoa and brown rice on offer for breakfast, with cooked beans or mixed sprouts.
He will usually only have some boiled egg once a week or fortnight.
He only gets a small piece of fruit or 2 a day, or a defrosted frozen berry.
I'd say that 40 - 60% of his diet would be the pellets, depending on his tastes on the day. He also has fresh millet a couple times a week. He just seems too get bored of anything if it is offered on a daily basis.

He mainly has oatgroats for treats, and some sunflower seeds.

His cholesterol was way too high when he had a vet check a few months ago, so he doesn't get nuts or dried seed besides as treats/foraging on the vets advice.
Can anyone suggest anything that may be lacking?

Should I be giving him more eggshells?

He may be chewing for his own amusement, but I just want to check whether he might trying to supplement his diet.

Claire
Ring0Neck

Re: Cornices

Post by Ring0Neck »

finds in cornices => Calcium
Perhaps breeding season is getting near ? depending where you are located
is it a hen?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for the reply.
Bird in question is a 10 month old, dna sexed cock. We live in south east Queensland...
He also had juvenile metabolic syndrome (i believe that what the vet called it), incase that's relevant. We've had him from 3months old.

I read that cornices are high in calcium, hence the cuttlefish all over the house.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

This is not my field, however, i would get him his own cornice :lol:
Install it inside his cage , and let him distroy his own.
I doubt there's any dangers to the bird chewing on a piece of cornice, but if concerned, make it yourself out of Plaster of Paris from Bunnings and can make diff. shapes n sizes .
8 3 IV
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

That's a great idea. And much more practical than sticking cuttlefish to every cornice he likes, which is what my boyfriend and I have been considering :mrgreen:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

You might need a deterant to stop him to keep going at cornices in the house.
I would try a water spray and wet him whenever he goes there, or do something he dislikes.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

In my way of thinking, I wouldn't give him a cornice in his cage if you're trying to prevent him from wanting to chew on one. They don't know the difference between allowed and not allowed. It's like giving a dog an old slipper to chew on and then wondering why he ate all of your good shoes. This is a time you should use positive reinforcement. I wouldn't spray him with water as a punishment or deterrent. It may make him fearful of water. Most animals, including birds, understand inflection changes in your voice. Praise is soft and higher pitched. Discourage with a lower firmer voice. When he's chewing tell him no! Remove him from the cornice, put him somewhere acceptable, and give him a treat. If he is calcium deficient, try adding crushed oyster shell to his food. Increase dark green veggies. You may have to watch him like a hawk until he understands the word no. Hope that helps :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Or, if you can stand it, cover the cornices?

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks for the suggestions.

He does understand the word no, it means look at the human cos it might do something interesting! (like grab him and put him somewhere else) :mrgreen:

To tell the truth he has barely made a beakmark in the cornice, as we do watch (or listen to) him very carefully.

I'm just going through process of eliminating reasons he may be showing renewed interest in them. First thing on my list is diet and health. I will up his dark green veges (which he isn't super keen on) and offer a lump of plaster of Paris with oyster shell, or calcium block if I can find something suitable that's premade. If he is interested in cornices because of a dietary imbalance he will correct that himself if he is given the opportunity.

Second is to determine if it is to get attention or whether he's a bit bored of the current toys on offer near cornices.

I suspect it may be to get undivided attention, but I think nutrition should be ruled out first.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh and what nutritional value do bricks hold?

RingOneck: are you the breeder near Ipswich? We are looking to get a parent raised companion for our bundle of trouble next season.

Claire
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Claire, I have a pile of cuttlefish if you want some.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Ellie. thanks for the offer but we have heaps already.

Update: Dave decided not to react when Nele threatened to eat cornices this morning. Nele would make cornice eating gestures, Dave remained impassive, Nele looked at him, tried it a few more times, then decided to pace up and down while talking instead. No damage to cornices at all, and he's got a new word 'wheee!' Hopefully this continues!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I thought I had better update this. Nila had not touched a cornice since last post until......
We went away last weekend and left him with the best birdsitter in the district, who looked after him at her house perfectly and probably spoilt him as much as we do!

Monday morning he decided that the cornices needed some work after breakfast. He walked along the curtain rail chomping hunks out and spitting them on the floor. When Dave didn't react he flew down to steal Daves cereal instead.
He tried the cornice once again this morning on Dave, got ignored and gave up.

We do think the amount of attention he originally got for doing it is the motivation, especially getting Daves undevided attention.

He hasn't tried it at all when Dave is at work. He has many strategies for getting my attention that are very reliable so he sticks to them on me.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Sneaky little Sneak!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Well, I guess he can't be perfect all the time. He is still cute when he's redesigning cornices, with that little mischievous twinkle in his eye. :mrgreen: