Insectivores

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Insectivores

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how much of a wild ringnecks diet is comprised of insects? It doesn't appear well documented.
Our bird is partial to a mosquito or cranefly if he can get it, and since he moved in the only daddylonglegs we have in the house are in the areas he doesn't go in...

Claire
Skyes_crew

Re: Insectivores

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't know what insects they are supposed to eat....but Skye acts like he's being hunted by a hawk when a fly or mosquito approaches him lol. He goes nuts hiding under my hair or in his cage. Such a big baby :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Haha that's funny!
Maybe Nele is actually just weird!
He chases flies and tries to chomp them, but I haven't seen him catch one... He used to chase ants, but after eating a couple he's not interested in them anymore lol
Melika

Post by Melika »

No one really knows. The idea that parrots might seek out insects to eat is relatively new and little documented/explored. Previously it was thought they only ate insects accidentally while eating other foods- but parrot owners have been calling that into question for some time now, based on what we see.

So little is known of avian nutrition, especially individual species nutrition when it comes to parrots in general. I wonder what articles on Psittacine diets will be like twenty or thirty years from now...
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay