Cage Specifications

Moderator: Mods

Considering

Cage Specifications

Post by Considering »

Hi,

I am currently looking into adopting an Indian Ringneck and am looking into the cage. I havent been having much luck in finding rough measurements. I have found most sites say the bigger the better which I would assume for all birds anyway. I don't want my bird to be in the cage unless we have to go out and we dont have a lot of room where I want to put it. There are larger rooms if I get desperate but we share a house with my inlaws and would prefer to keep the bird in our only little living area so I can keep an eye on it if it wants to be in its own cage. Also any tips about toys would be great.

Thanks in advance :)
Melika

Re: Cage Specifications

Post by Melika »

The reason there are not set measurements is because they don't exist. They are roughly 16 inches long with a wingspan of 14-16 inches, and you want a cage that allows the bird to turn around and flap wings without hitting toys/perches/cage bars and damaging the feathers. So you not only must consider the size of the bird, but also everything else in the cage that will take up room. Round cages tend to result in broken feathers so avoid them.

I prefer dometop cages because they allow more room inside the cage- but if your bird is often going to out of the cage you might consider a playtop cage.

Hope this helps!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay