IRN Growth diet?

Moderator: Mods

DavidAdelaide

IRN Growth diet?

Post by DavidAdelaide »

Hi All,

A question for all the experienced breeders, what is the ideal IRN diet to result in large size parrots (I am not talkong about overweighr, but physical growth)

Looking forward to recommendations
Thanks,
David...
JimHcctx

Re: IRN Growth diet?

Post by JimHcctx »

I don’t think you could get a ringneck or any bird to grow larger than it is genetically predisposed to do. When it comes to feeding, you might look at it as if you feed the wrong things, stunt its growth, etc it will not get as large as it is genetically designed to get.

There is a study in a book called Priticine Avaculture by Schubot on Eclectus and supplements. end result was no difference in the size once weaned. Even between parent fed and incubator hatched once weaned the size is the same. The road to weaning is very different though and a hand raised chick has a much slower growth rate. Additionally, parent started chicks receive a lot from the hen and will have an initial growth rate better than incubator hatched. Some studies and discussions believe breeding instinct are lower in a incubator hatched/human imprinted bird as well. I have had 3 such birds and none of them bred.

I use a pellet called Mazuri for small parrots. The directions indicate new hatchlings should be left on the breeder formula for the first year of their lives before switching to a maintenance version of the diet. As with any pellet, suplmenting it with both seed and veggies will assist greatly in ensuring you have a healthy bird.

Another thing is see what the birds feed. Any pair that is feeding the young I give pellet, seed and fresh foods. They routinely go for the fresh veggies polishing off their favorites and leaving the rest in the bowl. Other times, the babies crops will be packed full with seed.

End result is don’t skimp. I see too many people trying to save a bag or two of hand feeding formula. Big as they are supposed to be might be as simple as feeding them like mom would.
Jim H
Nodding the head is not rowing the boat!
Dean0

Post by Dean0 »

For large growth ideas you might look into the poultry industry and their advances in size, probably steroid boost of some description, which I wouldn't recommend. But I'm sure you could get diet ideas.
Just another bird brain
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't know why you would want your bird to be bigger than the standard to begin with. Birds that grow beyond their average size have shorter lifespans. There is no natural diet in the world that will make your bird grow bigger than what he is predisposed to be.

Dean...you can't compare poultry diets to parrot diets. Poultry eat high fat high carb diets to increase breast size. The bird is not bigger per se...just meatier. I would never use a poultry diet for my IRN's. they require many vitamins to maintain a long healthy life. Poultry is grown plumper for a food source. They do not have a long life to worry about. A diet for a ringneck without fruits and veggies and a nominal amount of grains can lead to poor feature structure, aggressiveness, illness, and a shortened lifespan.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D