How much food in a day?

Moderator: Mods

Karri

How much food in a day?

Post by Karri »

Last edited by Karri on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ellieelectrons

Re: How much food in a day?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Karri

Welcome! Well done to you for rescuing Cha-Cha. Sounds like you have a lovely girl there who is adjusting quite well.

You could be right that she is filling up on "junk" so she isn't eating the pellets and seed. I used to give my birds an almond each as a treat and my avian vet told me to stop doing it because one whole almond could look after their energy needs for a week (at least I think he said a week, maybe it was a day?)! He also said that birds are unlikely to overeat, but they will fill up on the "wrong" foods. "Wrong" foods being sugary and fatty foods. High sugar foods include fruit and some vegetables (eg. sweet corn). My vet suggested I use the 80/20 rule when it comes to their food: 80% non sugary and fatty foods and 20% "junk" food. I don't necessarily do a great job with it but I try. Last time they had a checkup, I found that Charlie had slightly high cholesterol... so that has added to the desire to feed them better.

Regarding eating when you eat, this can be a natural flock-type behaviour - eating when the other birds eat, although I would think if they were hungry, they would eat any way.

I think I read somewhere that they will poop once every 15-20 minutes. Someone else may confirm this. If your bird has been conditioned by previous owners, to poop in certain locations, this can cause your bird to hold it in until it is in the appropriate place... and this can potentially cause harm to the bird.

Good luck & best wishes.

Ellie.
MissK

Post by MissK »

:D
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Karri

Post by Karri »

Last edited by Karri on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Karri

Post by Karri »

Last edited by Karri on Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

What a pity I got here too late, a mist spray of lukewarm water with a little bicarb of soda added would have deodorised her plumage, then a quick mist with lukewarm water with a drop of rosewater to finish. I but my rosewater from the healthfood shop, there are no colourants added.