Safe papers for foraging toys?

Moderator: Mods

midnightflight

Safe papers for foraging toys?

Post by midnightflight »

I want to make some foraging toys for my irn, just wanted to know if lunch wrapping paper would be okay? Or if anyone has any ideas on what paper is...
ellieelectrons

Re: Safe papers for foraging toys?

Post by ellieelectrons »

We don't use the term "lunch wrapping paper" here but is it brown paper? If so, it should be okay. Generally non-bleached paper is good although I use non-glossy newspaper for my guys. Some people don't like to use this because of the ink but I started to use it when my vet recommended it. I also make a foraging toy using non-bleach coffee filters.

Ellie.
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

Okay thanks for your help. If your birds have no trouble with newspaper I will use that too as its really easy to get (and most times free)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Whereabouts in the world are you? I have been told that in Queensland (where I am from), they use vegetable dyes in newsprint.

I also use kitty litter made from recycled newsprint (not the type with crystals) - I mix it in with their pellets/seed.

Ellie.
midnightflight

Post by midnightflight »

I live in New Zealand. The pellet thing is a really great idea, i've been putting cupcake trays in his food bowl too, I think he likes the crackle and the fact he can throw them around the cage lol.

OH and I have given him a baby rusk (the hard ones you buy from the supermarket) I'm guessing that rice is okay for them?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I give mine rice occasionally.