How can I fix a rusted cage?

Moderator: Mods

enigma9888

How can I fix a rusted cage?

Post by enigma9888 »

I found a great deal ($80) on craigslist for a cage.... Drove 69 miles to pick it up (138 miles round trip lol) so I was definitely coming home with SOMETHING lol.... Needless to say, I loved the cage, but lots of rusting...... Is it worth it to fix it? If so, how? If its going to be toxic, I'll throw it out and consider it a loss... I already lost 1 indian ringneck prematurely due to food recall; I dont want to loose 2 more because of a cage...... Suggestions? Advice? Anything would be appreciated :)
sanjays mummi

Re: How can I fix a rusted cage?

Post by sanjays mummi »

I should think zinc oxide topped with Hammerite would be extremely toxic, and other than that there is no solution. Sorry.
Melika

Post by Melika »

What kind of cage and what kind of finish is/was on it? Here is some more info once you know what you have:

http://www.avianweb.com/refinishingcages.html
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
carmen

Post by carmen »

Hi there,

Rub the rust off with a wire brush then just repaint it with non toxic pain.
Then it should be fine.

Thanks,
Carmen
enigma9888

Post by enigma9888 »

Thanks for your advice, everyone... I wasnt comfortable fixing the cage, so despite my husband's objection$$$c , I bought a new cage lol
Davo84

Post by Davo84 »

Hi there,

I have kind of the same problem, the cage is a bit rusty, and I ordered a new one...do you think could be a problem for the next couple of days? (he is been in the cage only from yesterday)