Treats

Moderator: Mods

pararigger

Treats

Post by pararigger »

OK I have a strange question for you guys. I'm trying to learn what an IRN favorite treat is. So far I'm not having any luck. I read that they like millet but my IRN will not eat it or accept it from me. I have seen him eat apples but I have yet to discover if it's his favorite. For example I've quickly learned that our Sun Conure loves Dried Mango and will take it right out of my finger no problem.

So if you can help give me ideas of treats i'd greatly appreciate it so that I can start training my IRN :)
Maniiacy

Re: Treats

Post by Maniiacy »

Have you tried cheerios and ice cream cones? I give them a cone sometimes, and they go crazy over how crunchy and noisy it is; they rip it apart more than eat it. :lol: Dried peppers may be worth trying, too.
pararigger

Post by pararigger »

I wish I could just get it to take something....so far nothing I'm still having a bonding problem too.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Your bird may like the treats you are offering but not know it because it has never seen it before. Try giving the treats for a few days as part of its normal diet. Watch to see if it eats them. BY offering a mix of treat foods in a coop cup and seeing which ones your bird eats first, this will help you see what his fav foods are. Fav foods may change over time too.

My guys fav foods are:
- granulated nuts
- crumbs of a muesli bar (this is their high value reward at the moment. I reserve it for getting them back in the cage.)
- cheerios
- sunflower seeds
- almonds
- peanuts in their shells
- banana
- just about anything I'm eating that I know is birdie safe
- the occasional flake of a potato crisp

Ellie.
Bird brain house

Post by Bird brain house »

Just discovered that Goji berries work wonders for mine. Benny takes treats happily but Leo has been hesitant until now. Benny took one and his eyes pinned straight away, his body language told the more dominant Leo that it was good so he came and pinched it from him. I offered another 5 minutes later and LEO came RUNNING to my hand to get it :D I think I who've worked out how to win my little biters heart :wink: . Made sure that Benny got another one too while Leo was munching his.