1.5 year old bird started plucking

Moderator: Mods

Chrisjohnathon

Feather Plucking Section-reply

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

My parrot is 2 years old he's. Plucking a lot of feathers. I took him to a vet she gave an insecticide spray to spray his feathers and vitamino s drops. I have been doing that for like a month but the situation is not getting any better. He still plucks them and even before the new feather comes he plucks them, sometimes he ends up bleeding. His diet is fresh fruits, green chillies, parathas and sunflower seeds.
Can anyone suggest me what to do.. I'm really upset about it.

Here's the link to his pic: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... a87b85eeed
SkyeBerry

Feather Plucking Section-reply

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi Chrisjohnathon. I am so sorry about your bird. I know it is very frustrating and upsetting because my bird plucks too. It is very late - early - where I am, 1:45 am actually, so I am going to be very brief. Mostly asking a couple questions to help supply the forum with more information.

How long have you had the bird?
When did the plucking start? How long ago? After any particular event or change?
Where did the plucking start? How did it progress?
Have you noticed your bird pulls the feathers at any particular time of day or night? During certain activities?
Was the vet a certified avian (bird) vet? Have you used this vet before? Do you still have the insect spray? What is it? Did the vet say whether an insect was seen or there was evidence? If yes, what was it? How often are you using the spray? How much do you use? What are the vitamin drops? How often and how much are you using? How are they being given? On food? in water? Has your bird had any other health/behaviour problems in the past or currently?
You listed his diet - including, parathas - an Indian flatbread. Did the vet suggest any changes? Perhaps feeding some specialized bird pellets?
The picture shows your bird in a cage. Is that the usual cage? What are the dimensions? Is it brass? If that is not the usual cage, what are its dimensions? Picture?
Any toys?
How often is the bird out? For how long?
Where is the bird kept in the house?
How often is the bird alone?
Any other birds?
Have you read the articles above and/or others on this forum or on the net?
I will try and check in a few days to see if you have answered the questions as well as if anyone else has responded?

Perhaps Imram-C may move your post and this one to your own thread?
Mary
Chrisjohnathon

1.5 year old bird started plucking

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

I have this bird from 1.5 years. Its very active and very talkitive. He has a great bonding with me and my mom. He started pluckung around 3 months ago. It was summer when it actually began to happen so i thought its because of warm weather that he feels itchy but he gets a bath 3 times in a week. It started from his shoulders and neck right after he started he felt sick so i took him to a vet it said that he's having fever and gave him an injection and a medicine to be given in water. He was fine with in 3 days and the vet said they will take care of his plucking when's he's fine. But after he recovered i left to another country for a week. So when i was back i took him to a vet. I hope that she is a certified one but not sure if she is a vet for birds but that is what the banner on the shop claimed. I tried this vet for the first time. The vet didnt tell me if they actually saw an insect on it, but we thought that there might be a psoibility for an insects to be on him because in the morning we make him sit in the balcony for fresh air and sunlight, where he sits on top of it is a nest of wild pigeons so we thought the insects mught have fallen from their nest. Right after that we never made him sit there. But it didnt help. Yes thats his usual cage made up of brass (not sure though). He's pretty happy in that cage he's in that cage since a year. Regarding the dimensions i dont really know. He comes out once a week it totally depend on him for how long he wants to stay out as we open the door and he comes and goes out on his own ( usually for half a day) he roams in the whole house when he's out. Loves to stay in the kitchen though. Ive not trimmed or clipped his feathers as he doesnt really fly alot in the house. The vet didnt recommend me any specific food for him as he said that this is A big deal its normal for birds to do that. And he usually sits right infron of the main door and kitchen so he keeps seeing people now and then and is mostly surrounded with people i try my best when kids are at my house they dont irritate him. When at times i feel he's feeling lonely i bring him to my room and talk to him or show him youtube videos which he loves. I dont have any other birds at home but i have a neighbour who has same bird. They both are good friends so i usually take him to meet his bird. But since the plucking started i dint take my bird to his as im afraid it might affect that bird as well. I havent placed any toys in his cage as i dont really know what toy to buy for him. I think he has made it a habbit to pluck feathers. I read the posts above and the only solution i can think of his using a collar but i feel that it will make him sad and depressed which i dont want. The spray which i was given is called fleas and ticks speay for fancy birds i was told to spray thrice in a week after the bath on the whole body avoiding the eyes. The spray made him very sad and he disnt used to talk for like half of the day. So i made it two times in a week. Drops which she gave me are some multi vitamins which i put in his water 2 drops each day. These drops were to make the feathers grow quicker. Whenever i think he's feeling bkred and is starting to pluck feathers i give him a new paper to tear which helps sometimes. And he plucks feather all the time not any specific time.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: 1.5 year old bird started plucking

Post by ringneck »

Hello,

I'm really sorry you're dealing with feather plucking. In fact, I too am dealing with the issue. I have made great progress so far; however, every bird is different.

I don't mean to sound rude, but that cage is not large enough for your Indian Ringneck. Notice how his tail hits the cage floor? This means that the cage is too small. Also, if the bird were to turn around, flap its wings, or hang upside down, then the tail will touch the sides of the bars--this too is a sign that your cage is too small. That being said, I would invest in a larger cage.

Here, read this: http://indianringneck.com/cage/

Also, I've worked with so many birds. Most birds that are infected with mites or feather lice do not pick their feathers. In fact, lice and mites are usually only present in birds that are kept in filthy conditions, overcrowding, or are ill. That being said, your cage looks really clean so I don't think that's the problem.

I don't know where you live, but your bird needs to see an avian vet. When Osiris started, I took mine to one. We ruled out all medical issues before I started my "holistic" approach.

So what would I do in your case? I would start him on a bland diet. For me, I started Osiris (Alexandrine) on a rice based diet--it's high carb and no fat. The goal is to weed out any foods that are not agreeable to his body.

Make sure your bird actually eats the rice before switching over to an all rice diet. Don't just replace the food as he may not know its food. Give him a couple of days or weeks to learn that rice can be eaten. You can boil it or give it to him raw. Osiris eats it either way. Make sure it's only rice in the beginning. Give him this for a few weeks then start adding fruits and vegetables. Do this gradually and keep a journal to see how any new food item reacts to his system.

As far as the feather regrowth. You have two choices, you can put a collar on, or let the feathers grow out naturally. Keep in mind it can take a year if the feather follicle is not removed. Birds don't grow feathers like our hair. Also, I just never put the collar on Osiris. It was a very gradual process and we did it through positive reinforcement training.

I hope this helps. Look at my post as I just updated some information about Osiris! :wink:

It's been about a year's worth of work so far--just stay consistent and dedicated. Also, I might say that I went against my vets wishes to not use a collar. For me, I had to stop the damage, or habit, before it became something more difficult to stop. Act quick and journalize everything.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
Chrisjohnathon

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

Thank you so much. I'll start following these instructions. I live in UAE and over here the vets have to be certified but the thing is most vet shops deal with animals and burds i can't find a special avian vet, but I'll try to. I already stopped giving him seeds, the amount of chillies i used to givein a day has been reduced as well. I'll start giving him rice from today itself.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Try searching for a vet on here: http://aav.site-ym.com/search/newsearch.asp
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi..you have been given some good advice and I just added an article to IMRAN-c's thread. It would be a good one to read. I am NOT saying that a medical problem may not be the cause of your bird's picking. I just think it is good information for all bird owners.

Pigeons/wild birds can carry red mites in particular so please keep your bird - and mention this to your neighbour - away from the area near the pigeons. Clean up any of their debris especially if it can get in your house through a window, or door, or because you or someone else walked in it. Use a flea/tick spray in these areas but ensure the parrots are no where near that they could inhale the vapours. Although mites are unlikely the cause of what we refer to as 'plucking' - if it was, we would see wild birds partially plucked and we don't - it could potentially cause a bored bird in a cage to start picking/plucking and just become a 'habit' or 'game.' So be safe versus sorry and read up about getting the pigeons to leave with humane methods. Read about red mites on the internet and how to check for them on a bird - covering cage with a white sheet or similar overnight and checking it in the morning. It is easy to do and you will seem them if you have them. Wild birds- or birds at large in the wild - can also carry other diseases best to be avoided.

Birds do not learn to pluck from other birds. If your bird has nothing physically wrong - that is contagious - I see no reason why it cannot have supervised visits with another bird of the same species if they enjoy one another and get along fine. Make sure you ask more questions if you are not sure if the interactions are good and safe or not.

Sunlight is very good for all birds and essential for proper vitamin production and required for feather production. It is often recommended that feather pluckers get access to real sunshine - not through windows. So please do not stop this - just clean up any mess as discussed or sit in another location with the bird for 15-20 minutes a day if possible.

You need to get some toys! You can creative and make your own. This site has several areas that should be able to help you. Natural safe branches with their leaves and bark and no pesticide sprays are some of the BEST toys. But please do your RESEARCH first. Make sure all the parts of the branch are safe - leaves, bark, wood, any fruit/berries, flowers etc. Make sure you know how to identify the tree. I would recommend getting help from an expert. Maybe you can find an organic orchard within a reasonable travel distance. Ask if you can have what they normally prune and discard.

Something to make you feel a bit better - if he is talkative - I have read this means he feels safe and likes you. He wants to communicate with you. It is hard work for a parrot to train the muscles in their neck to make our words. They must be motivated. So feel good about this. Glad you have not clipped his wings. In my opinion, birds need to fly. Just make sure you have bird proofed your house and all members of the house understand what this means. You will be devastated if he meets with an accident or gets out of the house.

Have you looked at all the simple tricks you can teach your bird? All members of the family can get involved. Claire - In the Air - is an expert trainer - have a look at her videos. I am sure she could give you some hints of where to start.

Finally, think of your schedule and any changes. Keep in mind you bird is also just coming out of baby-hood. I think you said he is 1.5 years old. He is just figuring himself out as well as who is in his flock and who he really likes to spend time with. Since you are the person who posted on this site, would you say he is 'your bird?' If he is, when you leave for a week or whatever, even the day, it could be very difficult for him. Definitely enough for him to pluck. This is a possibility you must consider. But it is why you need to get him toys and teach him to amuse himself as well as ensure he knows the rest of your family are also part of his flock. Once you know he is 'healthy' perhaps your neighbour with the same bird can also help when you are not around provided you are very comfortable and trusting of this person. Remember, we can only provide suggestions and things that might work. You are the one who will need to analyse the situation and decide what is best. Hopefully you can find a certified avian vet to assist you.
Mary
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. I just want to stick my head in and make one small comment about the shape of the cage. I do agree with Imran that is seems much to small, but in addition I notice it is round.

I have read and also been told by a breeder that a round cage is not good. It seems that there are no corners for the bird to use as a point of reference or refuge. I cannot attest to the truth of these points, however I have heard the same on multiple occasions. In fact, years ago I bought a Budgie from a breeder who said that if any of their birds were kept in a round cage it would void their health guarantee, so firmly they believe a round cage is bad for the bird.

In addition, there is a strong chance that the round cage uses wires that are not always parallel to each other - that is, some wires at the top may come closer to each other the shape of a letter V. That poses a danger of the foot or leg getting trapped. I know it sounds obscure, but I have seen such a thing occur with my own eyes. It was my mother's canary, in a cage she preferred over the cage I bought which was more safe. Her bird put his leg between the bars and then slid to a place where the foot was too big to fit back through to the inside. If I had not been there to slide the bird and his foot back to a wider space, I am certain his leg would have been broken and he would have lost the foot.

I would urge you to change the cage as soon as possible, even the same day you read this, for the physical safety. If there is any truth to a round cage being hard on the bird emotionally, changing to rectangular might help there as well. Why not give it a try?

**As DevilAngel and Skyeberry have said, toys are quite important. Without toys he literally has nothing to play with but himself! In the interest of being helpful, here is a link to a toy thread here: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... oys#p95520
Last edited by MissK on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
devilangel09

Post by devilangel09 »

to be honest the picture says it all. the answer is bordom you have him in a small round cage (round cages are stressful)
he needs a much larger cage and toys also fly time would help

did you change the cage? i bet it would help greatly and also ringnecks lov e to shred they are very destructive birds so make ppaper toys buy wooden toys raffia toys theres so many i bet once he has a new cage and toys he will eventually stop plucking as he wont be bored and perhaps let him out more than once a week
Chrisjohnathon

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... e141eaa9d2

This is what he keeps plucking... as if like they hurt him or something.. whenever one comes on his body he plucks them out sometimes he ends up bleeding... i dont know why is he doing that..
although his condition has started to get better he has got green feathers around his neck now and even his shoulders are getting covered up.. but still these black feathers come on his body and he keeps plucking them out..
he is getting a ring on his neck so i dont know may be plucks them because he is suppose to get new feathers or something..
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hey, did you change the cage and get him a bunch of toys? Even safe twigs an plastic bottle caps count as toys, though simple ones.
-MissK
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Those are the new feathers.

...A newly emerging feather is called a pin feather. As the new feather emerges from the follicle, there is a sheath covering and surrounding the new feather. You will notice a silvery, shiny sheath on the new pin feathers. These are most obvious on the top of the head and can appear as little silver spikes. Some birds are experts are removing their own sheaths with either the beak or by scratching at the feathers with foot. Birds housed together often preen and groom each other to remove each other’s sheaths. ...Some of the bird’s follicles and pin feathers are very sensitive .... source:http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-magazin ... rowth.aspx

It is not good that your bird is also bleeding. This means he is possibly damaging the skin and feather follicles. Some birds will progress from feather picking to mutilation and the will create holes in their skin and muscle. This is extremely serious. Your bird may also have pulled a blood feather. Another serious problem that can cause a lot of blood loss.

from the same article listed above:

....Plucked Feathers
If a feather is plucked, instead of falling out normally, some of the dead cells of the follicle remain attached to the plucked feather. Cells in the follicle are also damaged or destroyed by the plucking process, as well. When the feather is plucked out, bleeding occurs into the empty follicle and stops when a clot forms in the follicle. Unless the bird has liver damage, psittacosis or another disease that results in clotting problems, the amount of bleeding that occurs when plucking a feather out is inconsequential.

However, if a blood feather is plucked out, there is a chance that the bleeding can become more significant. Also, damage to the follicle can also be more serious. Repeated plucking of a feather from the same follicle can eventually result in the follicle becoming damaged to the point that it can no longer replace a feather. We have all seen chronic feather-picking birds with a naked chest and no visible feathers, and no signs of active follicle activity. This is from continual plucking resulting in follicles no longer being able to replace feathers normally. For this reason, I always think twice before plucking any feather from a bird’s body, especially the large primary and secondary wing and tail feathers....

You really need to reread the previous replies and provide your bird with toys and a different cage. Your bird needs to see a competent avian vet who specializes in birds - I believe someone has already discussed this. This bird is definitely feather plucking. There are environmental and emotional and physical reasons that may cause it. sometimes there is more than one cause - think of a lot of little stresses adding up so that it is just too much for the bird and he needs to find a way to deal with the stress. For example - people develop eating disorders or cutting themselves to deal with stress. Both the bird and the people require help. The longer your bird plucks the harder it will be to get him to stop. Even if the reason the bird first started plucking is resolved, he will continue to pluck because it is now a very bad habit. ie) chewing finger nails or smoking.

It is even more important that the food your bird is eating is very nutritious and meets all your birds needs. This should also be discussed with the avian vet.
Mary
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Here's my two pennorth, if you can get hold of some Seeded grapes ("Globe) then offer him these, there is something in the seeds which prevent plucking, you may also need an Elizabethan collar for him. I once worked (landscape gardener) on an estate which housed rescued parrots, a plucking parrot can be depressed bored, or have a skin parasite. If your cage is too small, and you are waiting for a big one to be delivered (the bigger the better, Sanjay has a Liberta Raleigh) give him as much out of cage freedom as you can, and plenty of toys to play with. Good luck!
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

This grape seed idea is interesting. I googled several articles and there may be some basis to this if the cause is because of an organism. That it would be difficult to now how much grape seed is required etc. I have started to work with a behaviorist who specializes in feather pluckers. I am going to ask her about this.
Mary
Chrisjohnathon

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

This is his new cage:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... d2d0d6fcca

And this is his current condition:
https://scontent-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=55723426

I bought this cage last week, at first he didn't really liked the idea of shifting into a new home but now I guess he has started liking it. He is afraid of the toy which is hanging there.. doesnt even go close to it. I dont know how to tell him that its safe.

I think that his condition is improving as he doesn't plucks much pin feathers, lets hope he gets healed soon. :)
Chrisjohnathon

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

The food he eats is all kind of fresh fruits(which are edible for him) plus green chillies, and flour bread. I have changed his diet from just normal sunflower seeds to much nutritious diet. It includes serveal different types of nuts and seeds. Which I bought from a pet store.

I have always given him grapes I'll try giving him the seeded ones from now on.

Thanks for your replies. It's really helping me. :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

It is the actual grape rather than grapeseed oil or extract, Sanjay likes the skin peeled so he can see the seeds through the translucent flesh of the grape. I also forgot to suggest good old "Feather Up"
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,
I really think you should get a much a bigger cage. That one is made for very small birds. parrot cages should be off the ground on a stand or table, because parrots feel more comfortable when they are higher. Perches can be made from natural branches with bark on them so that the parrot can chew the bark and it is better for his feet. Search for "parrot safe branches" on the internet and you will find lists of what wood is good to use. Parrots need lots of toys.
Chrisjohnathon

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

His cage is usually on a table, this is when I play my piano i make him sit next to me. I kept some twigs in his cage but he didnt even touch them so i removed. Earlier I had a much bigger cage than this, but he seemed very lonely in it plus it was very difficult to move that cage and to clean it regularly, he takes a bath in his cage so its easier to take this cage in the shower and give him a bath; like once in a week. I think that he's not fond of toys as the way he was brought up was without toys. But he loves playing with my ipad and mobile. He like to watch videos and listen to recordings. So i try to keep him engaged in such activities when I see he is bored. Other than that one or the other person in the house is usually talking to him. He sits right infront of the kitchen, he sees people going in and out and asks for food when anyone goes inside the kitchen. I have brought few zebra pinches, they are kept right next to his cage, but he doesn't seem really happy about it.
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hi...you seem to be trying to improve your bird's condition and I applaud you for your efforts. A bigger cage is always better, but I am glad you removed your bird from the round brass cage. I am not sure if anyone mentioned it, but the brass itself can make birds very sick. You should really garbage that cage so it does not get used again. Although a lot of people on this site likely use cages larger than the one you have pictured, I am not as worried if your bird is getting not only a lot of out of cage time but actual exercise.

Do you play any games with your bird? Have you tried giving the bird a small cat ball with a bell in it? Most bird's seem to be fascinated by them and will pick them up and chase after them (a lot will fetch them). Some birds, mine included, will start to break the plastic to get at the bell. If that happens, you need to take it away. The bell itself could be made from a toxic metal (although they are not supposed to be), but you also do not want the bird to ingest any of the plastic especially since it may have a sharp edge.

Here are a couple sites to read - (They and the information about behaviour training I copied from a post I made for someone else a couple of days ago but I think they may assist you.)

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-an ... birds.aspx

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-behavio ... rcise.aspx

https://companionparrotonline.com/exercise.html

You may also what to teach your bird additional behaviours and 'tricks.' I am sure the entire family will enjoy this as well as the bird. You may find that the bird practices some of these behaviours on her own. Claire - In the Air - has lots of information on this site with regards to training and it is another subject that is easy to research on Google. With lots a praise and positive reinforcement, most parrots seem to enjoy it. They are intelligent creates and I am sure they enjoy having the opportunity to show it. Once you teach a few basic tricks, it will be easy to come up with your own behaviours.

Personally, I do not like the word 'tricks,' simply because some people see it as a negative thing to teach a bird. The reality is the reward - treat or praise - is just encouragement to try and get a bird to try new things. The behaviours/tricks you teach a bird can all be very natural behaviours the parrot would do in the wild if he/she had to fend for him/herself.

Climbing branches, vines (ropes/plastic chains), reaching up/down to forage. My bird will hang from a finger to get a piece of millet and then pull himself up. A sort of birdie sit-up. But is it realy an different for reaching for a cherry? The point is he is using muscles the way they were meant to be used. I used some millet and taught him to turn a circle on my arm in both directions just by having him follow it. He loves this! And lately it seems he wants to see how fast he can go. It exercises his feet, his ankles, and legs, improves balance. In the Air has video of her birds flying through hula hoops. Birds need to maneuver through obstacles in the wild. Bird agility courses - once again Claire has video and I am sure your kids can come up with other ideas. Just start slow and simple and always keep the birds safety in mind. Oh, and simply allowing the bath to bathe or have a birdie shower takes up their time because they generally rest while drying and then have to spend the time to preen their feathers and get them back in order.

I really hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Regarding toys - if your bird is afraid of the toys currently in the cage take them out. Perhaps weave some paper in between the bars. I would put some natural perches back into his cage. It may take awhile for him to chew them but even if he does not the unevenness is good for his feet.

You can type 'Teach you bird to play with toys' into a search engine like Goggle and you will get lots of articles. Here is a good example to start with:
http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-housing ... -play.aspx

I would also like to hear more about his diet. I am REALLY glad you are not feeding all those sunflower seeds anymore! Yes, the birds do like them, but they are like candy to the birds and they will eat way too much. They are very high fat and are just as bad for birds as us eating to may potato chips or whatever fatty food you like. Fruits are good for birds but vegetables are even better - especially leafy greens! Birds in the wild eat much more greens than our caged pets. There is lots of really good information on this site regarding food. How about whole grains?

Sorry I could type a bunch more, but I need to move on to my own email now. Good luck and keep us informed. If I remember correctly, your bird had picked his neck and shoulders before. If that is the case, things are improving and that is great! If you get a chance, would you post a picture of the larger cage you have? I know you said it was too heavy and awkward but it may still have a use!

I will be looking forward to your next post!
Mary
Chrisjohnathon

Post by Chrisjohnathon »

As i told u earlier that his diet includes fruits and vegetables. We usually feed him green peas he loves them, even spinach leaves, i don't know what other vegetables to feed him. We usually try giving him different fruit and vegetables as he asks for them himself. If he sees anything edible in your hand he will scream the hell out of the house for that thing. Then whatever he eats happily we give him again and the things he doesn't eat we don't give it more often. Regarding games, yes i play with him sometimes my dining table has steel bars underneath the glass just like monkey bars. So he likes to run from one end to the other. When he reaches the other end i tell him 'Mithu' mom's here then he run back towards his cage.
The thing about playing games is that he doesn't really like being bothered when he is out of the cage. Even if i go close to him he gets angry. He doesn't sit on my finger and always tries to bite it if i keep it infront of him to climb. But whenever he flies and lands himself in a strange place and when i stretch my arm forward he quickly gets on to my arm so that i can rescue him and take him back to his cage. Even when mom tells him to go back to the cage he runs towards me and sits on my lap so that i can shelter him. He's a meanie he only comes to me when he needs something. So playing games with him is something hard as of now. But i haven't clipped his feathers. My sitting room is big enough and i let him fly around the room. Earlier he didn't know how to land but he has learnt it now. My mom's always afraid that he might hurt himself but i think taking a flight is also necessary for him, he loves it. I have thrown that older cage as it was occupying so much space and was of no use.

Yes his neck has improved very much. And i hope his shoulders get healed too. :)

And I'll surely read the links you have attached. :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

You know, Sanjays palace, a Liberta Raleigh is the largest indoor corner cage you can buy, and it wasn't cheap. It is huge, but he can actually fly around inside it, yes, it takes a lot of cleaning I use a steam cleaner, our policy has always been to put the animals needs first, if people are not prepared to invest a bit of hard work, and expense, then it is unfair to keep a pet.His previous cage, the Liberta Voyager, was also a corner cage, it could be wheeled into the wetroom, but he couldn't fly around in it, and began pacing and refusing to go back inside. Fortunately, the company we ordered the palace from delivered the next day, he took to it immediately. As for toys, Sanjay ignored them at first, now he chews them to shreds, hangs upside down on them and gives them a good beaking to!. Please don't be too impatient, your bird is still a chickster.