Help understanding Dominant Edged

Moderator: Mods

rick_s0910

Help understanding Dominant Edged

Post by rick_s0910 »

I recently bought a Dominant Edged Blue young ringneck. It is from a pair I never got to breed and sold many years ago (and now regret). I have a couple questions. Is my bird female? Is she Cinnamon-Dom. Edged or just Dom. Edged? Is SL Edged the same as Dominant Edged? How does Dom. Edged work? How is it inherited? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, if you have a male edged all female offspring will be edged. If the female is dominant edged all males will be edged. Is this wrong? Info on my bird, parents are - Dominant Edged Grey x Blue hen. Idk if the cock also carries cinnamon. Dom Edged Grey was purchased from T. Bazemore. Here are the parents...

This is the one I just got...

Thanks,

Rick
Kappa

Re: Help understanding Dominant Edged

Post by Kappa »

G'Day Rick,

As far as I know, Dominant Edged or Sex - linked dominant edged is the same.

Sex- linked because, edged hens will produce only edged cocks. However, edged cocks can produce both. I think that's right . It is also possible to produce df edged birds, but only in cocks.

Work done by a number of breeders in Oz, has shown that it appears that edged is an allele of cinnamon, so they act co- dominant towards each other. So you get CinnamonEdged birds through gene linkage as apposed to Cinnamon Edged as a combination of mutations.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
rick_s0910

Re: Help understanding Dominant Edged

Post by rick_s0910 »

Thank you Kappa! Your replies are always very helpful!