does anyone else in the world have a jet black beak at 4 ?

Moderator: Mods

ush2611

does anyone else in the world have a jet black beak at 4 ?

Post by ush2611 »

hi i seem to have a rare bird here...well rare as in no one else sems to have an indian ringneck with a jet black beak at 4 years old...because of this the Durrel wildlife society took interest as they thought i had the only echo parakeet in the world outside mauritius, (hens have jet black beaks, males are exactly like normal male ringnecks but slightly stockier and larger) but after 3 months of determining facts we now know, due to her calls crys & whistles that she is in fact a black beaked ringneck hen...does anyone else in the world have one?
Attachments
11830742_10153527345712363_104783677_n (1).jpg
ush2611

Re: does anyone else in the world have a jet black beak at 4

Post by ush2611 »

i basically rescued this bird from a small cage in a pet shop..they told me it was from a clutch of 4 ringnecks the owner bred in 2011...i was convinced it was a conure..in the end i was sick of seeing it quiet ans shoved into the corner behind the more popular macaws so i bought it...such a softie, but have room in 3 aviaries and it gets on ok with my other ringnecks..still very wired to see its jet black beak every day
Attachments
11798099_10153518916697363_219898686_n.jpg
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

the black beaked indian ringneck is not a commonly found bird..often hybrid krameri to manilensis produce black beaked birds..and there are samples of pure manilensis with black beaks in India and in Phillipines..no know mutation has been produced from this..
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

It will be very interesting to see what its offspring are like won't it.
ush2611

Post by ush2611 »

wow thanks for your reply molusses2 ..i wasnt going to breed with her but use her as a foster hen i think ..i think you are the only person that has heard of them
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

There are two breeders in SA that I know of with black beaked IRNs. They seem to be able to produce offspring with darker beaks as well, but very little information is available yet.
parrotmom

Post by parrotmom »

I am in USA and have a blue Indian Ringneck hen that developed same black beak in breeding season. After season it lightened a little but not much. She was 1 1/2 last year. I am waiting to see if it darkens up more again in the next month or so. As a baby she had a normal dark red indian ringneck beak. She is out of a blue IRN male (strange bird - has black spots on his feathers. I was told he was "special" when I got him) and a creamino IRN hen.

Last year she bred with a violet male - I was told double factor, but I think he was single factor. Threw a strange baby, slightly darker than a blue, not a turquoise, not a violet definitely not a cobalt. Odd.

Michele
Birds Of A Feather Aviary
Texas, USA
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Michele,
Could you post some photos of your hen with the black beak, your special blue cock and the odd coloured chick.
Thanks .
parrotmom

Post by parrotmom »

Yes, I will get those together and post them.
parrotmom

Post by parrotmom »

weird blue male...(father of blue hen with black, she is mom of odd colored baby). other photos to follow
odd blue male with black spots on feathers.  Father of blue hen with black beak.
odd blue male with black spots on feathers. Father of blue hen with black beak.
BooBoo--on-stand-web.jpg (99.73 KiB) Viewed 6217 times
Michele
South Texas
parrotmom

Post by parrotmom »

Black beaked blue hen.  Offspring of previously posted blue male and a creamino hen.
Black beaked blue hen. Offspring of previously posted blue male and a creamino hen.
black-beaked-blue-hen--web.jpg (17.12 KiB) Viewed 6217 times
Sorry about photo quality. it is hard to get her to stand still. She is going into moult in this pic.

Michele
South Texas
parrotmom

Post by parrotmom »

Here is the offspring of the black-beaked blue hen and a violet male. Maternal Grandfather was the blue male pictured. this baby was 2014s hatch - unsexed so far, but I believe may be male. Is an odd color - not blue, not turquoise (parblue), not violet.

Pic really doesn't do him justice or show the major difference in color next to mother (blue), father (violet), grandfather (blue with black marks) or turquoise.

Any ideas on color?
2014 offpring of black-beaked blue hen and violet cock.
2014 offpring of black-beaked blue hen and violet cock.
Michele
South Texas
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Michele,

Thank you for posting the photos. You clearly have some very unusual looking birds. I can't exactly comment on what is going on regarding your birds, but suspect this maybe a melanistic mutation, which increases the expresstivity of black, not only in the feathers, but can also affect the skin, nails and beak.

You definitely have an interesting collection of birds, well worth investing the time for further development. You should consider a pairing which has the mutation in both the cock and hen. Line breeding can sometimes make for interesting results.