mutation indigo

Moderator: Mods

riccardo

mutation indigo

Post by riccardo »

clarification on mutation indigo how do I recognize an indigo from a normal mutation
riccardo

Re: mutation indigo

Post by riccardo »

no one can tell me the difference between a normal mutation and mutation indigo
smick

Post by smick »

A indigo blue looks aqua in colour, a par blue that is lighter in green suffusion then a turquoise. ie a blue looking bird but has a soft green suffusion, good colour to breed with violet blue as seems to deepen the purple colour and the green from the indigo also deepens, I have one that is quite beautiful to look at. hopes that helps, thanks smick.
riccardo

Post by riccardo »

thanks
Indian Ringneck Vic

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

Indigo is as explained by Smick though there are a couple of extra points Indigo should never show any psittacine on the body on the chest or anywhere down to the vent though they often show it in the socks above the legs.Indigo's will also differ from Turq when crossed to Ino,pallid,cinnamon,chct,chf, etc here the Turquoise displays yellow where the Indigo displays lemon.
BuksV

Post by BuksV »

Indian Ringneck Vic wrote:Indigo should never show any psittacine on the body on the chest or anywhere down to the vent though they often show it in the socks above the legs
Hi Vic. I am a boertjie and please I don't understand the word Psittacine, Can you please explain to me what I am looking for when I look for the difference.
Thanks
Buks
Indian Ringneck Vic

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

BuksV the psittacine is the green overlay on the birds wings this can range in colour from wild type green through to aqua (blue/green) also Indigo do not have any colour in the neck ring it is black and white.
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

BuksV. As I understand it, and I am sometimes wrong, psitticin means yellow pigment and psitticine means pertaining to parrots. I am not quite sure what Paul thinks the words mean.
Kind regards
Mike
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Oom Buks, Mike is correct in saying that psittacin is a yellow pigment. When looking at a feather under a microscope, the green colour splits up into two regions, the underlying feather structure shows a blue colour, and deposited on top of that you see yellow granules. When we zoom out our eyes aren't sensitive enough to distinguish between the two, so we see a mixture of blue + yellow = green (remember kindergarten when we mixed paint?).

So I like to think of our mutations as mutations that remove the blue (ino), remove the yellow (blue), or do either or both partially (parblues, fallows, cinnamon, pallid, etc.), or reduce the intensity of the light reflected (dark/violet), etc.. This way of thinking is of course only applicable to avian genetics, as most bird breeders are interested in how a mutation will express in the phenotype. For genetics in general, the interest is more towards what happens at a low level. How are enzyme production affected, etc.