Blue Male/ Dilute Violet Female?

Moderator: Mods

whimsicalwings

Blue Male/ Dilute Violet Female?

Post by whimsicalwings »

I am new here, but have looked up some posts on here before for a reference.
I am supposed to see this pair tomorrow, I would like an opinion on what colors they can throw. I get fuzzy when it goes past the basics.

I was told a blue male with a dilute violet female, that they would throw blues and violets. Thoughts? I haven't dealt with dilutes or violets, and the female that is a dilute violet looks completely white with dark eyes, from the picture.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by whimsicalwings on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Molossus2

Re: Blue Male/ Dilute Violet Female?

Post by Molossus2 »

keeping mutations is a matter of personal preference...ie if you realise you like then you focus..but this only occurs once you spend time understanding what is out there .. including color / inheritance / rarity/ diseases and husbandry/and anything else that will take away your valuable time and money...my advice is to take it slow..dont go and see with the intention to buy without considering all of the above.
whimsicalwings

Post by whimsicalwings »

Thank you for the advice. I already have one pair of ringnecks and breed a few other species. I simply am not up on all of the genetics of the ringnecks, just a few of the basics. :)
smick

Post by smick »

Well, you picked a good site whim as I have learnt so much here about mutations. To find out what colours you can get use gencalc.com as this is easy to use but it is limited with colours. Example it has turquoise but not indigo all you do in this case is just substitute the word in your result as both are par blue mutations. Thanks Smick.
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Whimsicalwings
Who ever told you that you would get Blue and Violet Blue offspring from that combination is correct. However, Dilutes are rather rare in Australia and, whilst I haven't seen a Violet Blue Dilute, I am pretty certain it would not be white. Rather a pale form of Violet Blue with dark eyes as you say it has.
Kind regards
Mike
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Mikesringnecks wrote: However, Dilutes are rather rare in Australia
Hi Mike, I wasn't aware/haven't heard that we had Dilutes (mode of inheritance: recessive) here?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hi Whimsical,

Assuming no splits,
you would get Violet Blue and Blue all split to Dilute. - do you have any pics of the Dilute Violet Blue hen?
whimsicalwings

Post by whimsicalwings »

Thank you so much for your responses. I have tried to play with the GenCalc, but I just cannot get the answers I need on this one. :)

I don't have a good picture of the hen, they are very scared of people and she goes nuts if I'm around, while the cock tries to scare me off. I do see a violet sheen to her overall, a spot of darker violet on her head, then a little on wings and tail- along with the dark eyes.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

whimsicalwings wrote:Thank you so much for your responses. I have tried to play with the GenCalc, but I just cannot get the answers I need on this one. :)
http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0PsitIR

On the Gen Calc, tick 'blue' for the cock-
and for the hen tick 'sf Violet', 'blue' and 'dilute'
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Whimsicalwings

Can you find out the parents of the violet dilute? and what else was in the nest, siblings of the violet dilute?

does it look close to these in pic below? or less violet color?
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
whimsicalwings

Post by whimsicalwings »

I will try to find out the parents. I have a name of the breeder, but I haven't been able to find contact info. Thank you for the calc help!

She looks similar to those, but the color isn't as pronounced. More like the color of the one on the right, but more like the pattern on the left.