Violet Ino

Moderator: Mods

bridgey

Violet Ino

Post by bridgey »

according to gencal, if I breed Lutino cock to my SF violet blue hen, ill get a violet ino... what does that look like? ive never head of any one with it. it just says "0.1 violet(sf) ino /blue". So its violet split blue, I get that, but the ino???

any help please, pics if possible
sheyd

Re: Violet Ino

Post by sheyd »

Yeah, so in other words, a Lutino masking Violet
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

so its lutino /violet ?
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

No, not split violet -you can't have a bird split to violet as it is dominant - but ino (lutino in green series or albino in blue series birds) will 'mask' the violet colour - in other words will conceal it - so the bird will LOOK like a lutino and be split to BLUE.

Hope that helps?
Regards Deb
smick

Post by smick »

Bridgey, most people don't like or want to breed a lutino cock to violet blue hen because with the young lutino hens you cannot be sure if they are masking violet or blue until you breed from them so they are worth little money and not many people will buy them. If you can it would be better to source a violet blue cock or a blue cock . if you want young that are nest sexable look for a blue pallid cock.
this will give you 50% blue/pallid cocks and 50% violet blue/ pallid cocks, the hens will be 50% violet blue pallid or 50% blue pallid. Thanks Smick.
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

I'm getting a pastel blue /lace (turquoise / pallid ?) Cock for my lutino hen.
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

What's the best hen fir my cock lutino (no splits)
smick

Post by smick »

bridge, put the pastel(turquoise) blue/pallid cock to the sf violet blue hen and just put the 2 lutino's together, thanks Smick.
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

figured if I split the lutino I could make sure that they weren't split, all their previous babies have been lutino.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

If either of your lutino's are hiding a split, the most likely one would be blue (either the male or female could have it, or both).
How many clutches have your lutino's had together? If it has been 5 or more, and they have only ever produced lutino chicks, it would be more likely that (a)they are either both not split for blue - or (b) only ONE of them is split for blue.

Perhaps try putting your lutino male to a normal blue female? The outcome will be as follows:

If the lutino cock is split for blue-
Lutino/blue cock x blue hen = blue/ino and green/blue ino boys, and blue ino(albino) and ino(lutino)/blue girls; i.e. all blue and green chicks male, and all albino and lutino chicks female.

If lutino cock is NOT split for blue-
Lutino cock x blue hen = green/blue ino boys, and ino(lutino)/blue girls i.e. all green chicks male and all lutino chicks female.

It is possible that you Lutino male could also, or instead of, be split to either cinnamon or pallid, in which case putting to a blue hen, either of these mutations would be produced visually in female chicks.

I do agree with smick though, in that the better match would be the turquoise/pallid with your violet hen, and not the lutino hen - but it also depends on what market you are breeding for - i.e. for the pet market, or for the breeding market?

Hope this helps somewhat :)
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Alternatively, if its your FEMALE lutino that you want to know if she is split blue - put her to a normal blue cock.

If she IS split, you'll get green AND blue chicks, and if she isn't, you'll just get all (visually) green chicks. :D

(Of course finding a normal blue cock that isn't split for ino, pallid or cinnamon might be a challenge, but you should still be able to determine from the lack of blue series chicks that your hen is or isn't split to blue).
Regards Deb
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

They've had 3 clutches all yellow, last clutch only one chick hatched, both are 8yrs now. Found a "clean blue" cock on gumtree for $100
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Where abouts are you located? In Australia? Hopefully it's not too late in the season to pair him up to your lutino hen, if you want to test mate her with him. If the lutino pair have already started courting though, it could be an issue. hen's have been known to kill a cock if they're not happy with them. If you think it might be too late to separate them now, you could put the blue to your violet for this season?
So wish I had the room to have more than my one pair - don't know why I torture myself looking on Gumtree and other bird sites! :D
Regards Deb
bridgey

Post by bridgey »

Willowisp that was my problem too, so I bought another aviary lol. No courting has started and yes in Melbourne Australia. Ive heard someone one day that after 9 I shouldn't breed them, any thoughts of other people ?
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

I have never heard that myself - in fact, have heard quite differently, in that, a lot of breeders have birds in their late teens still going strong and producing quality offspring. I know of one breeder in Qld that has 20 + year olds still breeding for him. I think your birds have still got years of good breeding in them, provided they get a good healthy balanced diet of fruit/veg/pellets/seed and you supplement them with vitamins/calcium etc during breeding season :)
Regards Deb