Violet IRN

Moderator: Mods

aceofsnakes

Violet IRN

Post by aceofsnakes »

We are hand feeding a baby violet IRN. We were told it is a male since the father was a male and this is a saxed linked breeding. Is this possible?
sheyd

Re: Violet IRN

Post by sheyd »

no, not true at all. The chick could be of either sex as the violet mutation is not sex-linked.
aceofsnakes

Post by aceofsnakes »

What if it was bred to a sax linked female? I have no idea how genetics work with birds but I have looked it up and I am finding something about the males not showing it hence why they are telling me the violets are males. I'm so confused.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

In some instances you can nest sex chicks- for that to happen the cock needs to be either visual or split for a sex linked mutation- ex Cinnamon Blue cock x Blue hen = 100% blue cocks, and 100% Cinnamon Blue hens.

What mutations were the parents of your chicks?
aceofsnakes

Post by aceofsnakes »

OK, so I just got off the phone with the shop and I am bringing in the bird for a DNA test. He called the breeder and this is what he said. The father was a Dutch Blue and the female a Violet and every baby that he has sold, all the Violets have been males. Not sure if it is true or not but I am going to the ship for a DNA test after work.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

May have just been luck on the breeders part- certainly Violet and Blue are non sex-linked -

Hope it turns out the sex you want (you have a 50/50 chance!)

Just had a thought-
I haven't heard of a 'dutch blue' perhaps they meant 'sky blue' which is actually Cinnamon Blue? - which would make sense as all Cinnamons would be hens and all normals would be cocks.