mutation question

Moderator: Mods

lethalfire

mutation question

Post by lethalfire »

I have a 4-5 week old IRN that I am handfeeding, I was told that the Mother is a lutino and the Father was a blue. The person I got the IRN from said that as my baby feathers and molts it could end up with a blue hue to it or shadings of blue, is this true and is it possible to tell the gender without DNA by the colors of the parents?
Wessel Gordon

Re: mutation question

Post by Wessel Gordon »

lethalfire,

I am not an expert on genetics and mutations but as far as I know the combination of a lutino hen and a blue cock might give you 50% lutino hens and 50% blue cocks but it can also give you 50% blue hens and 50% lutino cocks. If I am wrong on that I would gladly stand corrected on that by an experienced breeder.

I had a blue cock that came from a blue hen and a lutino cock pairing which obviously inherited the mother's coloring so it's not always possible to tell the gender of the chick based on his parentage without DNA testing.
smick

Re: mutation question

Post by smick »

Lethalfire, if the hen is straight lutino and not split blue and the cock is straight blue you will only get green cocks split blue and ino, and green hens split blue. Is the young one green that your feeding. Thanks Smick