Emerald Cleartail phoenetics

Moderator: Mods

Mikesringnecks

Emerald Cleartail phoenetics

Post by Mikesringnecks »

I have a young Turquoise Emerald Cleartail hen that I was intending to pair with a Blue Cleartail cock. However, I put her with a mixed flock in the off season and she chose a rising 2 year old Violet Cobalt Cleartail cock. I was not inclined to break them up because he was at least blue series which allowed me to address the Turquoise Emerald issue.
They have produced 7 chicks, all now with foster parents. My problem is one of identification, I am unsure about how to tell the difference between Violet Emerald, Cobalt Emerald and Violet Cobalt Emerald Cleartails and also between the same series with Turquoise in place of Emerald. So far I have 3 chicks with a fair bit of feather but the second 4 have only just been ringed so are still bald.
Can anyone help?
Johan S

Re: Emerald Cleartail phoenetics

Post by Johan S »

Mike, thank you for you willingness to share your information to help us solve this mystery. It is much appreciated. Although I haven't bred emeralds, you could look towards a brighter yellow compared to a soft, very diluted milky yellow to distinguish between turquoise and emerald, specifically in the regions that will clear up for cleartails. I suspect the tail and belly regions might give clearer clues. Further to your concerns of identification, also keep in mind that a plain/normal blue, cobalt, violet or cobalt violet will also assist in providing answers. Perhaps you are more comfortable identifying those.

And of course, if you don't mind please share the photos with all of us. Many of us have been waiting for years for the answer to the question you are close to answering. :D
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike,

Double clutching a young hen hmmm :shock: , most would be excited just to have a young hen go down once.
Looking forward to see pics of the young once they feather up.

You said:
I was not inclined to break them up because he was at least blue series which allowed me to address the Turquoise Emerald issue.

This "issue" was only seriously been talked about in the last week or so. I just hope you are fair dinkum and have what you say you do.

Cheers

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Johan S wrote:Mike, thank you for you willingness to share your information to help us solve this mystery. It is much appreciated. Although I haven't bred emeralds, you could look towards a brighter yellow compared to a soft, very diluted milky yellow to distinguish between turquoise and emerald, specifically in the regions that will clear up for cleartails. I suspect the tail and belly regions might give clearer clues. Further to your concerns of identification, also keep in mind that a plain/normal blue, cobalt, violet or cobalt violet will also assist in providing answers. Perhaps you are more comfortable identifying those.

And of course, if you don't mind please share the photos with all of us. Many of us have been waiting for years for the answer to the question you are close to answering. :D
Hi Johan, thanks for the response. I am happy to post a photo of them and I have just taken one but the site won't let me do it for some reason, something about urls. I am quite experienced with violets, cobalts and violet cobalts but i have never got them together with emerald cleartails before and the emerald seems to increase the difference between the 3 if my guess as to which is which is correct. Kind regards Mike
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Ring0Neck wrote:Mike,

Double clutching a young hen hmmm :shock: , most would be excited just to have a young hen go down once.
Looking forward to see pics of the young once they feather up.

You said:
I was not inclined to break them up because he was at least blue series which allowed me to address the Turquoise Emerald issue.

This "issue" was only seriously been talked about in the last week or so. I just hope you are fair dinkum and have what you say you do.

Cheers

Hi RingOneck This was the first time I have had a 1 year old hen double clutch and it wasn't something I wanted her to do at all. I took the second clutch away as soon as it was laid and put 2 week old fertile eggs under her that she is now raising quite happily. Her second clutch of 4 is currently getting rings.
The first clutch comprised 3 chicks that I think are an emerald cleartail, a violet cleartail and a violet cobalt cleartail. I took a photo today and they are pretty well coloured up but I'm not sure about the phonetics because I've not bred emerald cleartails before.
I'm quite happy to post photos but the site doesn't seem to want me to do it, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I am fair dinkum about it, the parents are an early bred turquoise emerald cleartail hen that I bought from Victoria and a Violet Cobalt Cleartail cock that I bred a couple of years ago. Kind regards Mike
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

molossus wrote:Mike send me your e mail add and i will fwd you some pics of my blue series emerald to assist in identification.
Hi molossus the site won't let me send my e -mail it complains about URLs. I would send photos but the site won't seem to let me do that either. I think one of the chicks in question is an emerald blue cleartail but I don't have one. Only an emerald split cleartail and a turquoise emerald cleartail which is a very different color to my emerald split. Kind regards Mike
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike

send photos to email below & i will post them up here for you
ringneck
@techemail.com

(i broken up my email so it won't be picked up by robotz)

site won't allow you to post pics because you're new - it's a site protection to deter spammers

Cheers
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Mikesringnecks

Blue series emerald cleartails

Post by Mikesringnecks »

I have a young pair comprising a turquoise emerald cleartail hen and a violet cobalt cleartail cock. She is an early bred 2012 hen I bought and he is a 2011 bird I bred but he hasn't yet got a ring.
They double clutched which worried me a fair bit at the time but all seems to be OK. I fostered both clutches and gave her some less rare fertile eggs to practice motherhood on.
The first clutch comprised what I think are a violet emerald cleartail, an emerald cleartail and a violet cobalt emerald cleartail. They are bout 5 weeks old now so quite well feathered but I have never seen any of the colors they represent before so I'm unsure as to whether or not they are what I think they might be.
The attached photo includes 2 ring-ins from another nest that can only be cobalt emerald cleartails because of their parentage.
What surprises me most, apart from the luck involved in getting those 3 mutations, is the apparently significant difference in coloration compared with the difference I usually get between violet, cobalt and violet cobalt without the presence of emerald.
Kind regards
Mike
Attachments
DSCF3066.JPG
DSCF3066.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 13909 times
AlphaWolf

Re: Blue series emerald cleartails

Post by AlphaWolf »

OMG THEY ARE TOOO BEAUTIFUL.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
jessicaz

Post by jessicaz »

Wow! I think they are all gorgeous colours well done!
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike,

Beautiful birds, well done.

Any chance we can see a pic of the turquoise emerald cleartail hen please?
do you have a higher resolution pic of the chicks?

i can not see turquoise on either of the chicks.
when you look at them did you see any of their wings with turquoise markings?

I'm an Explorer
Mikesringnecks

emerald cleartail phenetics

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi
I think I now know how to post photos. The site is new to me and I'm not particularly computer literate.
If this works, the 2 chicks labeled cobalt emerald cleartail come from a cobalt cleartail cock bird and an emerald split cleartail hen. They are part of a clutch of 4, they both have lemon bellies and I don't think they can be anything other than as labeled.
The 3 I am unsure about, numbered 1, 2 and 3, also have lemon bellies. They come from a young turquoise emerald cleartail hen and a 2 year old violet cobalt cleartail cock that I bred that is not split for anything. I think they are a violet emerald cleartail (1), an emerald blue cleartail (2) and a violet cobalt emerald cleartail (3). However, I have never seen any of those colors in cleartails or straight birds for that matter so I am quite unsure of the phenetics. That is why I was seeking help from anyone who could identify the colors with more certainty than I can.
Kind regards
Mike
Attachments
DSCF3066.JPG
DSCF3066.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 13891 times
MallyKat

Re: emerald cleartail phenetics

Post by MallyKat »

I'm not sure on your question, sorry! But just saying that they are beautiful birds! :) Best wishes in finding answers!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Bird 3 is significantly darker than what I would expect from a normal violet cobalt. Wow!!!
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Mikesringnecks wrote:They come from a young turquoise emerald cleartail hen and a 2 year old violet cobalt cleartail cock
Mike, could you perhaps upload a picture of the turquoise emerald cleartail hen, esp. of her back so that we can decide on turquoise or indigo morphotypes?

It is a pity that the picture is so small, as it has the potential of becoming a fantastic reference picture. I don't have experience with emerald, but if the birds have lemon bellies like you mention, then it should be emerald, as I don't see any manifestation of parblue on the wings (yet?). I think you have identified these birds correctly. What I have noticed though, is that bird 1 is significantly darker than the two cobalts you have labeled. Much more so than with my cobalts and violets where the difference is less. The question then, where do these cobalts originate from? Are they the European cobalt (double factor is mauve), or Oz cobalts aka deep (double factor is deep blue bird, not mauve)?
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Goodness me what absolute stunners they are! You imagine how much more intense the colour with age and a few moults!

A job well done I'd say :)
Loo :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I'll put them all in this thread, as this was the original one that you started Mike (and maybe mods could merge all threads together as well as put it in the Mutation/Genetics part of the forum?)
Mikesringnecks wrote:I have a young pair comprising a turquoise emerald cleartail hen and a violet cobalt cleartail cock. She is an early bred 2012 hen I bought and he is a 2011 bird I bred but he hasn't yet got a ring.
They double clutched which worried me a fair bit at the time but all seems to be OK. I fostered both clutches and gave her some less rare fertile eggs to practice motherhood on.
The first clutch comprised what I think are a violet emerald cleartail, an emerald cleartail and a violet cobalt emerald cleartail. They are bout 5 weeks old now so quite well feathered but I have never seen any of the colors they represent before so I'm unsure as to whether or not they are what I think they might be.
The attached photo includes 2 ring-ins from another nest that can only be cobalt emerald cleartails because of their parentage.
What surprises me most, apart from the luck involved in getting those 3 mutations, is the apparently significant difference in coloration compared with the difference I usually get between violet, cobalt and violet cobalt without the presence of emerald.
Kind regards
Mike
Ring0Neck wrote:Mike,

Beautiful birds, well done.

Any chance we can see a pic of the turquoise emerald cleartail hen please?
do you have a higher resolution pic of the chicks?

i can not see turquoise on either of the chicks.
when you look at them did you see any of their wings with turquoise markings?

Skyes_crew wrote:Bird 3 is significantly darker than what I would expect from a normal violet cobalt. Wow!!!
Mikesringnecks wrote:Hi
I think I now know how to post photos. The site is new to me and I'm not particularly computer literate.
If this works, the 2 chicks labeled cobalt emerald cleartail come from a cobalt cleartail cock bird and an emerald split cleartail hen. They are part of a clutch of 4, they both have lemon bellies and I don't think they can be anything other than as labeled.
The 3 I am unsure about, numbered 1, 2 and 3, also have lemon bellies. They come from a young turquoise emerald cleartail hen and a 2 year old violet cobalt cleartail cock that I bred that is not split for anything. I think they are a violet emerald cleartail (1), an emerald blue cleartail (2) and a violet cobalt emerald cleartail (3). However, I have never seen any of those colors in cleartails or straight birds for that matter so I am quite unsure of the phenetics. That is why I was seeking help from anyone who could identify the colors with more certainty than I can.
Kind regards
Mike
Chicks in question- 1, 2, & 3
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Spirite ... e.jpg.html
Johan S wrote:
Mikesringnecks wrote:They come from a young turquoise emerald cleartail hen and a 2 year old violet cobalt cleartail cock
Mike, could you perhaps upload a picture of the turquoise emerald cleartail hen, esp. of her back so that we can decide on turquoise or indigo morphotypes?

It is a pity that the picture is so small, as it has the potential of becoming a fantastic reference picture. I don't have experience with emerald, but if the birds have lemon bellies like you mention, then it should be emerald, as I don't see any manifestation of parblue on the wings (yet?). I think you have identified these birds correctly. What I have noticed though, is that bird 1 is significantly darker than the two cobalts you have labeled. Much more so than with my cobalts and violets where the difference is less. The question then, where do these cobalts originate from? Are they the European cobalt (double factor is mauve), or Oz cobalts aka deep (double factor is deep blue bird, not mauve)?
Pics of Mike's (sorry I can't get them to display- the resolution is too low I think for the link to be enabled)
Parents:
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Spirite ... 9.jpg.html
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Spirite ... 1.jpg.html

>>as you can probably guess, Mike is having a bit of trouble navigating the forum- hopefully it becomes easier for him and that he decides to stay :) <<
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Huh!!!??? Where did your post go Ben?

I'm a bit disappointed - you had a good theory there and I'm sure Mike would of liked to of heard it-

I invited Mike to join this forum after buying some birds (my Violet and his brother) interstate from him after he'd mentioned that he was a member of Terry's group and was interested in genetics. He has been breeding for 60yrs, ringnecks in the last 10 (correct me if I'm wrong Mike).

Mike would be an extremely valuable member to have.

Talking with him through email last night, he hasn't seen any replies, apart from 1 or 2 (because his threads were all over the place) and felt like no one was responding (which as we know wasn't the case)

I have hopefully helped him with the forum and navigation by the use of the 'view your posts' link and have asked if he could send through bigger pics of the chicks and parents- though I'm not sure if he'll know how to do that as he's said he's not computer literate.

I have also asked the moderaters of this forum to move where the thread will receive more traffic as it so deserves.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Lol Shey,

I was going to rewrite it as i believe there's a few mistakes but i'm ok being wrong.. i repost it below :D
Thanks to you both for persisting, appreciated.

I agree that the hen looks like emerald-turquoise combo in cleartail.

What is required is high resolution pics of the young chicks wings/back
From these images it is very hard to depict much, no turquoise is visible yet.

I just wonder if all these birds are emerald-turquoise cleartails!??
As we can see from the hen in this combo no turquoise is visible... it blended in...
*Perhaps emerlad-turquoise becomes a new single mutation call it E.T. a new single homozygous geno & phenotype
all offspring will be E.T. & then we add Blue and back to SF birds we go.
I know it is unlikely the above to be so, but i got you thinking!

Recio?? where are you

PS:
**I am almost certain now that the emerald is a Parblue mutation, I will collect the evidence in due course.
I'm an Explorer
Mikesringnecks

Turquoise Emerald Cleartail

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi Ben
I,m not quite sure if I'm communicating with the right person. As you may have gathered I don't really know how to use the site yet.
After some time, I found replies to my posts re identification of chicks from the above hen. I think it was you who suggested she could be passing on both turquoise and emerald genes at once. Quite possible technically if emerald is not a par blue as Deon Smith suggested as a possibility in his book. I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a turquoise emerald violet cobalt cleartail and an emerald violet cobalt cleartail because emerald seems to obliterate the patchiness I always seem to see in young turquoise birds.
The only thing I have helping me at the moment, is cobalt emerald cleartail chicks of the same age from another pair where the colour is not in doubt because the parentage is simple.
People were asking for larger photos with good reason. I didn't know how to do it but have found out and attached enlargements. Someone also wanted close ups of individual chicks including undersides. I will try that tomorrow when its not blowing a gale and 38 degrees.
Kind regards
Mike
Attachments
DSCF3072-002.JPG
DSCF3072-002.JPG (27.5 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
DSCF3080-003.JPG
DSCF3080-003.JPG (29.19 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
DSCF3066-001.JPG
DSCF3066-001.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 13874 times
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

If the conversations seem a bit disjointed in this thread, it's because I merged several threads on the one topic. Mike is still learning how to use the forum and he wasn't sure how to view the responses people were giving him so I've grouped all of the conversations regarding the Emerald Cleartail into this one thread. I've sent Mike a Private Message to help but if we can all lend him a hand if he needs it, that would be great. You're all such a helpful, kind bunch and that's why it's nice working with you all :) - despite me knowing nothing about genetics!

Best wishes.

Ellie.
trabots

Post by trabots »

That Dark Violet CHCT (no Emerald?) is awesome in that image. When I first got a Blue CHCT I could see that the blue was darker than on a straight Blue. This seems compounded with the structural mutations. I have a DF Violet TurquoiseBlue CHCT and I wonder how you could get darker flights.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

lol Ben (thanks) :) now I feel bad.. lol

I think once we see individual pics of the chicks (assuming the image size remains the same) we'll be better able to tell if Emerald and Turquoise are co-existing together (or not) in the offspring.

Mike- Hoping the weather gets better for you
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Mike,
... she could be passing on both turquoise and emerald genes at once.

It seems that emerald turquoise cleartail combination eliminates/hides?/morphs? the turquoise but interestingly we can still see the turquoise features in all other mutations/combinations or even plain turquoise-emerald as we have seen on Chris's emerald-turq bird as well as Molossus's pic he posted of emerald turquoise harlequin.
Early indications i can pickup is that turquoise-emerald birds will have 100% emerald offspring (or the morphed turq-emerald) when paired to blue series; these are not yet facts just notes.

Thankfully, you have 2 clutches and if you'd be kind to keep us updated with photos of the chicks from both clutches we could draw some conclusive conclusions.

Picture of Bob's emerald-turquoise

I'm an Explorer
Mikesringnecks

Re: Emerald Cleartail phenetics

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Hi
This is my second attempt to post an update, if it doesn't work I will have take a break and seek Ellie's help yet again.
I undertook to take better "in hand" photos of my turquoise emerald cleartail hen's chicks and a better shot of her. I have done the chicks but she is nervous with me in the aviary and shots through the wire are no good so I will have to keep trying. I did get a shot of the father though because he is a bird I bred and he is not particularly worried by my presence in the aviary.
As before, I have included pics of a cobalt emerald cleartail chick from a cobalt cleartail father and an emerald split cleartail mother because, given the parentage, I am certain of its colour . It is so similar to the 3 chicks from the turquoise emerald cleartail hen that it brings me to believe that at least that all 3 are emerald cleartails of some sort.
The photos speak for themselves, although I'm not a very competent camera man. If they are what I say they are on the pics then the jury is still out on whether or not emerald is an allele of the blue locus. As I understand it, to establish that emerald is not an allele of the blue locus, I need to get a blue , violet, cobalt or violet cobalt cleartail chick or a chick that combines turquoise emerald with any of the foregoing options. I'm not at all confident however about telling the difference between a turquoise emerald violet and a an emerald violet, let alone the other 3 possibilities in that series.
To reiterate, the parents are a violet cobalt cleartail cock and a turquoise emerald cleartail hen. The first 3 chicks all look like emerald cleartails now I have taken advice and photographed them "in hand", thank you very much for the advice. There are 4 to come but they have only just been ringed so it will be a week or so before I can start trying to identify their colours.
Hope the attached pics work, bear in mind the only ones I am entirely certain about colour wise are the father and the cobalt emerald cleartail.
Kind regards
Mike
Attachments
DSCF3092.JPG
DSCF3092.JPG (43.13 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3091.JPG
DSCF3091.JPG (45.15 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3091.JPG
DSCF3091.JPG (45.15 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3090.JPG
DSCF3090.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3089.JPG
DSCF3089.JPG (26.61 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3088.JPG
DSCF3088.JPG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3087.JPG
DSCF3087.JPG (30.63 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3086.JPG
DSCF3086.JPG (31.44 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3085.JPG
DSCF3085.JPG (30.41 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
DSCF3094.JPG
DSCF3094.JPG (33.38 KiB) Viewed 13785 times
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I think you've labeled them all correctly --- do you know what the parents were of your Emerald hen?

Beautiful btw!
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Johan S wrote:

Hi Johan
I don't know why the supposed violet emerald cleartail looks darker than the known cobalt emerald cleartails but you are right it does, though to my eye violets are always brighter than cobalts maybe the interaction with emerald makes them seem darker than cobalts.
The cobalt gene is definitely European, comes from an a hen imported into western Australia from Europe, there is no chance of it being an Ozzie cobalt or deep blue or whatever they are calling them now.
It was suggested that I take some closer up "in hand" photos to show their bellies which I have done and posted (I think). I have tried to get a better pic of the hen but she is nervous with me in the aviary and she has foster chicks so I haven't got a good shot yet, I will keep trying
Kind regards Mike
Attachments
DSCF3092.JPG
DSCF3092.JPG (43.13 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3091.JPG
DSCF3091.JPG (45.15 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3090.JPG
DSCF3090.JPG (35.83 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3089.JPG
DSCF3089.JPG (26.61 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3088.JPG
DSCF3088.JPG (36.64 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3087.JPG
DSCF3087.JPG (30.63 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3086.JPG
DSCF3086.JPG (31.44 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3085.JPG
DSCF3085.JPG (30.41 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
DSCF3094.JPG
DSCF3094.JPG (33.38 KiB) Viewed 13775 times
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The colors and size of the birds are phenomenal. The violet cobalt emerald took on more of a mauve appearance. Very nice :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

trabots

Post by trabots »

Those birds are fabulous Mike, you are far further along with the CHCTs, now you need to get Deep in there as well for some truly dark blue birds. Good stuff, great images, they speak better than words.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike,

I suggest we concentrate on the Cobalt Emerald Cleartails only for now.

You have a great advantage having the Cobalt Emerald Cleartail from the other pair which is great reference point.

What i would be looking for is the cream/yellow color intensity on their belly compared to the other cobalt emerald CT. birds
If turquoise is present we should detect a color change, darker cream i imagine.

I would suggest to take pics using flash and no flash.
IMO Turquoise & emerald can best be seen with flash.

Ben
I'm an Explorer
trabots

Post by trabots »

Just a thought but could the TurquoiseEmerald hen in fact be an IndigoEmerald? Indigo can be hard to see. There are pics on Chris Whipp's site which show an EmeraldTurquoise that is slightly patchy.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Willy,

As mentioned in previous post
So far any turquoise emerald cleartail i have seen, it had removed any traces of turquoise
no other mutation combo that i can think of does this.....
I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Mikesringnecks wrote:
Johan S wrote:

Hi Johan
I don't know why the supposed violet emerald cleartail looks darker than the known cobalt emerald cleartails but you are right it does, though to my eye violets are always brighter than cobalts maybe the interaction with emerald makes them seem darker than cobalts.
The cobalt gene is definitely European, comes from an a hen imported into western Australia from Europe, there is no chance of it being an Ozzie cobalt or deep blue or whatever they are calling them now.
It was suggested that I take some closer up "in hand" photos to show their bellies which I have done and posted (I think). I have tried to get a better pic of the hen but she is nervous with me in the aviary and she has foster chicks so I haven't got a good shot yet, I will keep trying
Kind regards Mike
Any Chance for bigger Resolution pics???
thx in advance.

madas
Recio

Post by Recio »

Ring0Neck wrote:
Mike,

I suggest we concentrate on the Cobalt Emerald Cleartails only for now.

You have a great advantage having the Cobalt Emerald Cleartail from the other pair which is great reference point.

What i would be looking for is the cream/yellow color intensity on their belly compared to the other cobalt emerald CT. birds
If turquoise is present we should detect a color change, darker cream i imagine.

I would suggest to take pics using flash and no flash.
IMO Turquoise & emerald can best be seen with flash.

Ben
Hi Ben,

If Emerald was a structural yellow mutation both green and blue series emeralds would look similar (this was discussed in the post about the "structural yellow"). In this situation Turquoise would not be detectable in emerald birds, as Mike describes in his birds. How could we know that those birds really express Emerald? (I perfectly understand Willy's doubt about the colour of the bird labeled Violet Cobalt Emerald CT ... could it just be Violet Cobalt CT?).
As you say the answer probably is on the belly colour ... but looking at them under uv rather than with/without flash: in Turquoise birds the belly is not fluorescent under uv (even in adult birds despite that fluorescence increases at adulthood), but whenever Emerald is in the mix, the whole bird is fluorescent (even in young birds) under uv.

How could we explain that Dark Violet Emerald CT could be so dark? Probably here we are facing one mutation on the spongy zone (Dark) together with two mutations of the cortex (Emerald and Violet). Emerald and Violet both increase the brigthness of the bird probably by acting on the reflecting outer part of the cortex. When both mutations are together in the same bird this effect on brightness seems disappear (as Mike has described), pointing to an interaction between both mutations, which would be easier to understand if they were both structural mutations and if both were acting on the same structure. Of course ... why this happens in CT but not in not-CT combinations? Is CT something more that a mutation acting on the distribution of melanin? Food for thougth for years to come.

I really am expecting the pics of the second clutch anf the % of Emeralds. Would it be again 100%, as it was for Babu with his first wild caugth Emerald?

Regards

Recio
trabots

Post by trabots »

This is an image of one of Chris' EmeraldTurquoise showing some patching from the Turquoise

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Recio welcome back ! Thanks for your input.

Mike,
If you could please email photos to email address below, pretty sure forum attachements trims down photos when posted.

ringneck@techemail.com

Regards
Ben
I'm an Explorer
madas

Post by madas »

Recio wrote: (I perfectly understand Willy's doubt about the colour of the bird labeled Violet Cobalt Emerald CT ... could it just be Violet Cobalt CT?).
Hi Recio,

looking at the small res pics you can truly see a light, creamy yellow belly and tail. Which isn't the case for turq. So for sure the bird is carrying emerald.

I've got some pics the last days (and i think you too) showing birds of a combo emerald turq. These birds are outstanding and for my eyes clearly detectable among normal emerald or turq birds in the nest. unfortunately i am not allowed to post them.

And so far for me it is no surprise that a emerald chct in blue series looks darker then chct blue series birds without emerald. For turq birds you can see a darker blue color wihtin the transitions from normal blue base color to the patched turq areas. So the same should be true for a emerald bird but here among the whole Body. Btw. the turq patches got darker as well if violet or dark is added.

madas
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:
Recio wrote: (I perfectly understand Willy's doubt about the colour of the bird labeled Violet Cobalt Emerald CT ... could it just be Violet Cobalt CT?).
Hi Recio,

looking at the small res pics you can truly see a light, creamy yellow belly and tail. Which isn't the case for turq. So for sure the bird is carrying emerald.
This was my impression too.
bennjamin

Post by bennjamin »

Johan S wrote:
madas wrote:
Hi Recio,

This was my impression too.

I would lean to Mikes call of emerald being in the mix, my violet cobalt CT are not at all that dark.
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Ring0Neck wrote:Mike

send photos to email below & i will post them up here for you
ringneck
@techemail.com

(i broken up my email so it won't be picked up by robotz)

site won't allow you to post pics because you're new - it's a site protection to deter spammers

Cheers
Hi Ben
Happy yo send photos but I don't know the first half of your E-mail address
Kind regards
Mike
trabots

Post by trabots »

I am convinced about the Emerald in the birds, that's the value of images over words. Still would like to see the EmeraldTurquoise parent.

Madas, is what you saw the same as Chris' image above?
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

Johan S wrote:

Hi Johan
I don't know if this will reach you because i still don't fully understand how to use this site but I have tried to get better pics of the young Turquoise Emerald Cleartail hen front and back as you suggested. My best try so far is attached.
Kind regards
Mike
Attachments
DSCF3116.JPG
DSCF3116.JPG (21.9 KiB) Viewed 13615 times
DSCF3114.JPG
DSCF3114.JPG (29.22 KiB) Viewed 13615 times
DSCF3115.JPG
DSCF3115.JPG (26.63 KiB) Viewed 13615 times
DSCF3121.JPG
DSCF3121.JPG (54.97 KiB) Viewed 13615 times
DSCF3122.JPG
DSCF3122.JPG (45.57 KiB) Viewed 13615 times
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Mike has emailed the pics however they are still low resolution.
I have enlarged a couple of pics for better viewing
I can do the rest as well if it helps others!?

I'm an Explorer
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi,

Following Willy ... nothing is better than a pic. Here is a Turquoise-Ino showing a yellow belly. Indigo does not show any yellow colour in the belly, but Mike says that the bird is Turquoise Emerald, and thus the yellow belly could be produced by any of both mutations.

Regards

Recio

madas

Post by madas »

trabots wrote:I am convinced about the Emerald in the birds, that's the value of images over words. Still would like to see the EmeraldTurquoise parent.

Madas, is what you saw the same as Chris' image above?
Hi Willy,

yes i would say they looked the same way although another mutation was in the mix too.
Lets wait some weeks for updated pics of these youngsters. I will let you know how they
develop. :)

madas
madas

Post by madas »

Recio wrote:Hi,

Following Willy ... nothing is better than a pic. Here is a Turquoise-Ino showing a yellow belly. Indigo does not show any yellow colour in the belly, but Mike says that the bird is Turquoise Emerald, and thus the yellow belly could be produced by any of both mutations.

Regards

Recio
So far right. But turq makes the belly yellow and the undertail is still white. In the opposite Aqua resp. Emerald makes the belly and undertail creamy yellow. ;)

madas
Recio

Post by Recio »

madas wrote:

Regards

Recio
So far right. But turq makes the belly yellow and the undertail is still white. In the opposite Aqua resp. Emerald makes the belly and undertail creamy yellow. ;)

madas
The same bird on another pic showing the yellow belly and yellow undertail. The extent of yellow psittacin in parblues depends on the specific parblue considered. If we define turquoise morphotype as owing a red ring in both SF and DF birds together with psittacin distribution preferently in patched areas of the wing coverts and the head, then we are including birds with different degrees of yellow, possibly corresponding to different alleles, under the same turquoise morphotype. The bird in the pic is an heterozygous TurquoiseBlue SL-Ino male, with a lot of psittacin sufusion. How could the DF bird look like? Probably very similar since the yellow colour is almost saturated ... for our eyes. :D

The key point to detect Emerald versus Heavy Turquoise in CT are the tail feathers ... but they are not yet developed in these birds. Anyway I mostly agree with all of you that Emerald seems to be in the mix.

madas

Post by madas »

Recio wrote:
madas wrote:

Regards

Recio

madas
The same bird on another pic showing the yellow belly and yellow undertail. The extent of yellow psittacin in parblues depends on the specific parblue considered. If we define turquoise morphotype as owing a red ring in both SF and DF birds together with psittacin distribution preferently in patched areas of the wing coverts and the head, then we are including birds with different degrees of yellow, possibly corresponding to different alleles, under the same turquoise morphotype. The bird in the pic is an heterozygous TurquoiseBlue SL-Ino male, with a lot of psittacin sufusion. How could the DF bird look like? Probably very similar since the yellow colour is almost saturated ... for our eyes. :D

The key point to detect Emerald versus Heavy Turquoise in CT are the tail feathers ... but they are not yet developed in these birds. Anyway I mostly agree with all of you that Emerald seems to be in the mix.

Hi Recio,

yeah i mostly agree. But i think you can't compare the tail feathers of turq SL-ino with a turq or emerald cleartail. Attached a pic of cleartail turq (heavy turq).

Tail underside is white.

madas
Recio

Post by Recio »

trabots wrote:This is an image of one of Chris' EmeraldTurquoise showing some patching from the Turquoise

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Hi Willy,

I have been thinking a lot about this pic, since it was the only pic of a bird labeled Turquoise Emerald (TurquoiseEmerald if you prefere) that was available for a while. You can compare it to Mike's pics and the difference is evident: Mike's bird appears as a mainly green bird with a brigthness that seems to change depending on the incident ligth - bird - camera angle. Far more, sometimes it is not only the apparent brigthness, but also the hue which seems to change, and in some pics the birds appear bluer and in others it appears greener (maybe my eyes and my screen are also working in this perception). If I am not wrong, Chris pic was taken under artificial lighting, which usually is compound of 3 or 4 wavelengths according to the emission spectrum of the bulb. In this situation, whenever the yellow wavelengths are not enough represented in this spectrum we can fail to properly detect Emerald allowing us to easierly uncover the underlying psittacin of the Turquoise patches.

In the past uv studies allowed to detect two different fluorescent emisions between Emeralds and the wild, lutino and parblues group. I have been wanting to perform similar studies but using a monochromatic yellow ligth to study not the fluorescence but the difference in iridiscence between those groups. If the soft even yellow we can see in Emeralds depends on a reflexion of yellow wavelengths on the surface of the cortex (structural yellow), then this colour perception must be coupled to the presence of brigthness. If Emeralds appear yellow and loose their brigthness under this yellow ligth it would mean that both phenomena (colour and brigthness) are not coupled and probably depend on different structures/pigments.

I have been asking people to send me feathers of Emeralds to do it ... but so far I am always waiting for them ... so, if somebody has the time and curiosity to do it ... it would be great.

Regards

Recio
Recio

Post by Recio »

madas wrote:
Hi Recio,
... And so far for me it is no surprise that a emerald chct in blue series looks darker then chct blue series birds without emerald. For turq birds you can see a darker blue color wihtin the transitions from normal blue base color to the patched turq areas. So the same should be true for a emerald bird but here among the whole Body. Btw. the turq patches got darker as well if violet or dark is added.

madas
Hi Madas,

As you say the darker colour in turquoise birds appears within the transition from normal blue base colour to the patched turquoise areas. In Emeralds there is not any transition because there are not patches, so IMO the darker colour is quite unexpected. :)

Best regards

Recio