Curious on what you think?

Moderator: Mods

Tabaneske

Curious on what you think?

Post by Tabaneske »

Hi there,
I am new to this forum and to breeding indian ringnecks. I have got this lovely pair, and I am curious what colour the babies might be from them. The female has started playing around in the nesting box, but no eggs yet. Kinda getting impatient, lol.

So please, if anyone knows what the babies might turn out, leave a post.

Cheers.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (55.64 KiB) Viewed 10050 times
SCB 22

Re: Curious on what you think?

Post by SCB 22 »

So that you can get accurate results, which is your female? And how old is the pair? :-) good luck, ive only just got my first 3 eggs for the season, but i checked this weekend and YAY all 3 are fertile.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

The white is male the blue is female. I'm not even sure what the right colour names are for them. Lol. This is their first breeding season, so maybe 2 years old?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Albino females and Blue males :)
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Ah cool. Interesting how the colours work. :) can't wait for them to start laying.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Do you have another pic of the male?
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

No, why? What do you need to know? :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

In that pic your male seems as if the head is pure white but the rest of the body a washed out color, greyish blue
in which case he would make a candidate for pallidino or light phase pallid.
Is the bird all white overall uniform white or more like what i described above?

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

He is all white. I can take another photo tomorrow, if he will keep still, lol.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Must be your computer Ben lol. Looks white to me :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Lol

I have 2 monitors ...

It's my eyes :shock:

know a good optom. ? :roll: i just need the "Doc" to remove Emerald out of my eyes :lol:
I'm an Explorer
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

:lol: sorry...that's a permanent condition

Gratz

Post by Gratz »

Hello,
Just reading this post and I can see what Ben is on about, the head on the male does look white compared to the body (which does look like a washed out very light grey)

Ben , I do know a very good optometrist , last time I went to see him he sat me in the chair , opened the curtains and told me to look outside , then he asked me if I could see the sun , I said yes I can , so he said well how much further do you want to see ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I see it (I saw it) it's not the first (or the last).. I believe that Ino gives a clearhead- and you can see it under certain light or angles.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Gosh darn it, it's so hard to put up decent photos because of me being a new user, :P

Sorry for the poor photos.

I have taken some more photos today. I took another of the female as well.

The females photo was with flash because she was in her box, so her colours may be more vibrant. :)

Hope these photos are better than the first one.
Attachments
croppedfem.jpg
croppedfem.jpg (87.37 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
cropped.jpg
cropped.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 9910 times
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Thanks for the pics.
Albino it is.

best of luck with the breeding and let us know what you get from them, should be as Shey/Sky said: albino hens and blue males
I'm an Explorer
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

So the mutation of them is Albino and Blue?

I'm not entirely sure what the actual names are for the colours. :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Tabaneske wrote:So the mutation of them is Albino and Blue?

I'm not entirely sure what the actual names are for the colours. :)
that's right :)
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Cool, I can't wait for them to start breeding. But at the moment all the female does (her name is Sapphire) is sit in her box and do nothing. I haven't actually caught them in the act, just the male (his name is Quartz) feeding the female. He is always bobbing his head for her, even when she isn't interested.
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Small Query : a normal blue with camera flash appears sea green; but this female is showing intense blue with camera flash (interestingly the tail isnt the intense) , isnt she more than a normal blue (perhaps a Dark or Deep factor involved) ?

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I noticed that too- but put it down to her body angle as opposed to her tail angle. (She looks like a normal enough Blue in the first, but as you know pics can be deceiving)

With that said, I'd like to see another pic without flash next to another (normal) Blue just for comparisons sake.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Maybe it's a reflection of the flash off of the breeding box. Looks to be a metal box.

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

It's a wooden box.

I will try to get a pic of her when she is out of her box. But she always hides when I go in the aviary. She is so sneaky.
smick

Post by smick »

Tabaneske the others forget to mention that the male offspring will be visual blue but split for ino (albino=blueino) and yes the hens will all be blueino . So if you wanted to breed albino(blueino) cocks just keep one blue/ino cock and pair up to enougher albino (blueino) hen.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Ah, that is very helpful.

How would you breed one that has a different coloured head to its body?

I like those ones, they are pretty.

Is it true that if they are not brought up in a multi coloured flock, they won't pair up with a mate of a different colour to their own colour?
smick

Post by smick »

No you can pair up different colours regardless off what colours the birds are used to, only need to pair ones up that breed desirable colours so that your not stuck with young that nobody wants eg try to avoid pairing a violet blue to albino as ino will mask the violet. Any of the pallids will have a different head colour to the body and are not to expensive or if you can afford it clear head and tails are enougher, thanks Smick
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

So do you think the pair I have is an alright pair to get desirable young out of?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

By me in the states, pure blues are getting harder to get. Most of the males are all split to something. I'd say find yourself a pure blue cock bird and breed pure blues :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

There are plenty of blues here. There were like 5 in the pet store. So I think there are plenty of them around. The pet store owner was interested that I had a white male though, so maybe she will buy the white bubs from me. The local community contributes to the birds in this store.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

smick wrote:Tabaneske the others forget to mention that the male offspring will be visual blue but split ino
Did not forget, saw no need- the op asked what 'colours' they'd get- not what what splits they'd get ;)
Keep it simple- if they're interested then they'll ask more questions.

I wouldn't put a male chick back with its' mother- simply because Albinos and Lutinos are in abundance - why line breed when you don't/won't need to? :/

Taban: buy a Lutino(yellow) or Albino(white) hen- that way 100% of the offspring will be Lutinos or Albinos of both sexes when paired with your Albino cock.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

What colours would people be after? Although I am new to breeding ringnecks, I plan on increasing my breeding pairs in the future.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Tabaneske wrote:What colours would people be after? Although I am new to breeding ringnecks, I plan on increasing my breeding pairs in the future.
if you're breeding for the pet market- Albinos and Lutinos are popular :wink: if you're wanting to mutation breed, then stay away from anything with Ino or split to Ino. as Ino will mask structural mutations like Violet.

so, it really depends on what your're hoping to achieve :)
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Okay. Well the whole reason I love breeding birds is to see the colour mutations that occur. So I guess I am interested in breeding them for the range of colour. :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Tabaneske wrote:Okay. Well the whole reason I love breeding birds is to see the colour mutations that occur. So I guess I am interested in breeding them for the range of colour. :)
- yep, that's why the majority of us are here :D

The possibilities are endless- just stay away from Ino (Albino-Creamino & Lutino cocks and hens) as-well as any cocks split for Ino.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Tabaneske wrote:There are plenty of blues here. There were like 5 in the pet store. So I think there are plenty of them around. The pet store owner was interested that I had a white male though, so maybe she will buy the white bubs from me. The local community contributes to the birds in this store.
You're lucky :D almost everything on this island is split to Ino lol. I'm breeding blues and turquoise blues this year just to be sure I don't have any males that are splits. I don't want any Ino lol.

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Ino are albino, lutino and creamino?

Edit: Also here are two more photos of my girl. She actually has a sorta purple/mauve colouring through her...
saphcropped2.jpg
saphcropped2.jpg (84.55 KiB) Viewed 9793 times
saphcropped.jpg
And I got my first egg!!!
firstegg.jpg
firstegg.jpg (65.78 KiB) Viewed 9793 times
She seems fairly exhausted after laying this egg. What can I do to help her energize up a bit?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Congrats :D but Awww poor baby :( what are you feeding? And she is a blue :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

I am feeding mixed seed and corn on the cob. I have bought some cuttlefish today, but that's if she will munch on it.
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

I have 3 eggs now! So excited!
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Tabaneske wrote:I have 3 eggs now! So excited!
Congrats please give the pair a chopped boiled eggs mixed with a white bread slice (make bred crumbs of the slice).
People call it egg food , there are different variations to this but this is the basic egg food. It is a good source of calcium and other nutrients which the pair needs during breeding as well as the chicks for development after hatching.
Dont forget to take away the remaining egg food once the pair has finished eating at the end of day as bacterias quickly develop and contaminate it.

Good luck with the breeding :)
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Tabaneske wrote:I have 3 eggs now! So excited!

I have 3 eggs myself, due to hatch in the next 7 days, so am just as excited as you!! All of mine are fertile, so now i must just be patient. Have you been able to candle your eggs? Is she finished laying?
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Thanks for the advice on the egg food. I will make up some so she can have a nibble.

SCB 22 wrote:Have you been able to candle your eggs? Is she finished laying?
I haven't been able to just yet, but I might wait another week before I give it a shot. I think she has finished laying, but I won't be sure until she gives me a proper look. :)
Liefie

Post by Liefie »

SCB 22 wrote:So that you can get accurate results, which is your female? And how old is the pair? :-) good luck, ive only just got my first 3 eggs for the season, but i checked this weekend and YAY all 3 are fertile.
does the age of the pair make any difference to the colour of the babies?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

No...the color of the babies is dictated by the color of the parents, not their ages.

SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Sorry should have said, reason i asked age, is with younger birds, (in my experience) if it is their first clutch, you may not get many fertile eggs, with my young birds, their first season breeding ive had one clutch of completely infertile eggs from each female, then second clutch they seem to do their thing right, and ive got ALL fertile from then on....
Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

What does split mean exactly. I am seeing all these mutations with people saying split to green or split to blue or whatever, what does that even mean? :?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

It means that they are carrying the gene for the mutation without visual manifestation of the mutation. For example...if you pair a blue split to pallid male with a blue hen you can get a visual blue pallid hen in the nest even though neither of the parents visually were pallids. Now it doesn't always work exactly like that because there are different modes of inheritance such as recessive, dominant, and sex linked. But that gives you an idea. Hope that helps :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

I think I am getting it slowly. Can they be split more than one thing? And can they sometimes turn out with grandparent or great grandparents colouring?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Yes...they can be split to more than one mutation. But it's not like in humans. The parent bird has to be either visual or split to that mutation to produce that mutation. :D

Tabaneske

Post by Tabaneske »

Okay, so why are there sex linked mutations? How do they work?