"psittacula world" Project - Let's begin !

Moderator: Mods

Ring0Neck

"psittacula world" Project - Let's begin !

Post by Ring0Neck »

Recio said: ... and what about creating a new "psittacula world"-like , with both text and pics, so that we could add new pics and information to update it when new mutations and knowledge is available? It would become a reference document for all of us. As Johan wrote some days ago there are a lot of breeders in this forum with enough genetic knowledge to accurately class alleles, mutations, combos, ... We could even collaborate in planing our pairings to study crossing over rates, to study epistasis, .... like it is done by Inte in Mutavi.

Regards

Recio
Let's start already!

Suggestion a domain name fist - everyone is invited to get involved.

We should nominate who to take charge of what.

I think Recio should be in charge of the whole operation and then we could assign tasks to individuals or groups.

Thoughts?

Ben
Last edited by Ring0Neck on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johan S

Re: "psittacula world" Project - Let's begin !

Post by Johan S »

As for the domain name, seems as if "ringneckgenetics" and "ringneckworld" are still available. Just to get things kicked off.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Johan, good.
We can add more domain names later.
all pointing to same main site.
say ringneckworld & ringneckgenetics will both end up on the same very page

* website name can also be made out of initials like... IRNPW.com etc etc easier to remember/write

Recio

Post by Recio »

Ring0Neck wrote:Let's start already!
Suggestion a domain name fist - everyone is invited to get involved.

We should nominate who to take charge of what.

I think Recio should be in charge of the whole operation and then we could assign tasks to individuals or groups.

Thoughts?

Ben
Hi Ben,

I can't be "in charge of the whole operation" because:
1. I just have the basic knowledge about computers. Do not forget my two left feet and that I am just able to post pics after intensive learning from my teacher (Johan).
2. My english is miserable and I should be corrected too often.
3. I do not own most of the mutations we are discussing and it would be too pretencious from my part to decide who is wrong or rigth in his appreciations.

I think that there are a lot of people more qualified than me (Willy, Deon, Madas, Peter, Lee, Johan, you and many others) to perform this task.... but I would be pleased if you accept me to collaborate.

Recio
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Recio, you don't need to know much about computers, but to lead the project but i understand the other reasons.
Perhaps Johan, Madas or others would like to volunteer to take charge of the project.

madas

Post by madas »

ringneck-genetics.com is a very good domain name (main domain). I would vote for it.
Here we should publish finished projects. It should be build from CMS system. Sources could be synced by dropbox or something other. :)
A good CMS is zeta-producer unfortunately only in german from Version 11 up. But i think version 10 was english too and should be available until now.

Then i would setup a subdomain called research.ringneck-genetics.com which is only accessable for registered users.
After registering this subdomain perhaps we should setup a system for delegating taks and to summarize the infos.
At work we use a ticket system called bitnami redmine that is doing these things. User managment, support for distinct projects, ticket support for each project, tickets could be delegated to other user, tickets support attachments, a wiki for each projekt. and so on.
after a project is finished and infos are nearly complete we could open it for public on the web.

only some thoughts. :D

madas
Recio

Post by Recio »

madas wrote:ringneck-genetics.com is a very good domain name (main domain). I would vote for it.
Here we should publish finished projects. It should be build from CMS system. Sources could be synced by dropbox or something other. :)
A good CMS is zeta-producer unfortunately only in german from Version 11 up. But i think version 10 was english too and should be available until now.

Then i would setup a subdomain called research.ringneck-genetics.com which is only accessable for registered users.
After registering this subdomain perhaps we should setup a system for delegating taks and to summarize the infos.
At work we use a ticket system called bitnami redmine that is doing these things. User managment, support for distinct projects, ticket support for each project, tickets could be delegated to other user, tickets support attachments, a wiki for each projekt. and so on.
after a project is finished and infos are nearly complete we could open it for public on the web.

madas
.... but very good thougths !!! ... now I confirm that computer language is like chinese for me. Ben and Madas ... go ahead. Take both the leadership of the project. You both have the knowledge, the experience (Ben in this forum and Madas with the genetic calculator), ... and the will, I guess, to do it.

Recio
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:ringneck-genetics.com is a very good domain name (main domain). I would vote for it.

madas
Say what ??? :? The only thing I understood was dropbox. :lol:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

At work we use a ticket system called bitnami redmine

Madas,

Happy using Windows 2008 VPS with RDC ? - full access to server to install make any changes, create subdomains etc., just like working on ur win 2008 pc.
For hosting: Will the windows vps do? i can see Redmine is cross-platform so it can be installled on the VPS.
or do you prefer/familiar with Linux server? if so i can not help with that.

Everyone
Are you guys happy for me to register & host the domain/s or does madas prefer to do it all ?

I only want to help, if it's needed, i don't want to self appoint myself, just offering to:
get the domain names, host the website, support with anything web related and colaborate with the team.

** Next i think we should create a Committee - Recio, Johan, Molossus, Willy, Deon, Tienie, Peter, Madas, and others you suggest or request & approved by the rest of us.
I'm just thinking to be able to differentiate between members (can be many) & committee members.

Thoughts?

Ben
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi Ben & Madas,

I think that you are the only ones knowing what you are speaking about ... so the best thing, maybe, it is that you decide who do what (server, explotation system, set up, ...) by yourselves. I can only say : yes, let's go. You can count on me.

Recio
madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote:
At work we use a ticket system called bitnami redmine

Madas,

Happy using Windows 2008 VPS with RDC ? - full access to server to install make any changes, create subdomains etc., just like working on ur win 2008 pc.
For hosting: Will the windows vps do? i can see Redmine is cross-platform so it can be installled on the VPS.
or do you prefer/familiar with Linux server? if so i can not help with that.

Everyone
Are you guys happy for me to register & host the domain/s or does madas prefer to do it all ?

I only want to help, if it's needed, i don't want to self appoint myself, just offering to:
get the domain names, host the website, support with anything web related and colaborate with the team.

Ben
Do you own the hardware by your self? If so then there is a vmware image for bitnami redmine too which could be used. 8)
If not then the Windows VPS is ok too. :) Here we need a MySQL DB Server. The redmine package contains all the other things which are needed (Apache and so on).
So if you are able to you can install all these things and try to get it working (isn't that hard :D ).

madas

PS: don't forget to register the domain resp. subdomain.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Domain registered
ringneck-genetics.com
i also got the .org .net .info extensions

Madas, I suggest using the other extension domain for the project, like the .net instead of a subdomain of .com
it simplifies & gives more flexibility achieving same result.
ringneck-genetics.net to be the project website

i'll setup the vps over the weekend
PM me your email Stefan, to send you the vps credentials when ready.

Molossus, good thinking, elaborate more..., & everyone else start thinking and throw suggestions on how to structure the website etc

Anyone else experienced in web-designing or can help in any way let us know.

Ben
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Hi Saud,

welcome onboard!

Back to the topic:

I think we should clarify exactly what we will be doing on the new site. Personally, I do not think that it should conflict with this forum. I have made some good friends that I have met right here, so my feeling is that people should still return here for the type of discussions that we have done here in the past. Forums, however, are notorious for losing information in other "clutter", so the discussion could happen right here, and ideas where consensus were reached could be captured on the other site. Thus, it will not require any moderation, but will serve as an Internet reference (hopefully one day the very best one). And of course, long term projects can also be stored there and updated after new results were discussed here. Thoughts?
smick

Post by smick »

Hi, everybody I think the commitee choise is spot on and as they are world based can only be a positive. My question is will ordinary members have to apply and be voted in by the commitee and will there be a limit on numbers.?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Smick,

Either way, you are welcome to be part of the members and to be involved in the projects.
Welcome onboard !

Others are welcome to put their hands up.
As Johan said, The goal is to summarize valuable information through a proccess and be presented verified and in an easy to understand fashion.

Ben
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

sounds as though you're all sorted- let me know if I can help in any way- but I'm not at all computer/website literate..

Ideas I'd like to see -cock and hen (of same mutation) comparisons as well as head, feet, wing and tail shots.

More than one pic per mutation (eg Green ect) to show variation in colour between individuals as well as young and old, moulting ect
Recio

Post by Recio »

Chocobo wrote:sounds as though you're all sorted- let me know if I can help in any way- but I'm not at all computer/website literate..

Ideas I'd like to see -cock and hen (of same mutation) comparisons as well as head, feet, wing and tail shots.

More than one pic per mutation (eg Green ect) to show variation in colour between individuals as well as young and old, moulting ect
.... and the same mutation in green and blue series. It would be also great a part about the physiology of colour (how colours are produced, ligth perception, pigments, fluorescence, iridescence, ...) and in which specific point each mutation acts ( ... or is suposed/postulated to act).

Another section for specific projects:
1.Calculating crossing-over rates of every sex linked mutation, and for autossomal mutations suppossed to have their loci in the same chromossome.
2. Getting the red IRN.
3. Getting the black IRN.
4. How to obtain stable black head birds.
5. Project to determine how many different parblues we can identify.
6. Determining how some mutations are able to produce some kind of brightness (khaky, misty, emerald?, american violet? ...). Study of interaction between/among them.
7. Study of interactions/regulation between pigments, and between pigments deposition and feather structure.
8. Study of the homozygous forms of the different morphotypes of dom pied.

As you see we can develop a lot of projects, and every developement in one of them will also allow to increase knowledge in all the others.

Those are just some ideas :mrgreen:
Regards

Recio
Stofnic

Post by Stofnic »

Is this project still ongoing?
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

It has just started
Tartan ringnecks

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

Hi

Will this be a closed group or open to others.
Kev
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Chocobo wrote:sounds as though you're all sorted- let me know if I can help in any way- but I'm not at all computer/website literate..

forgot to add that I want to contribute photos
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi All

Would you guys like a section on this forum just for this project or are you happy to just keep posting in the "Mutations/Genetics" section? If so, I think I can set it up for you. Just let me know what you'd like it to be called and I'll give it a go. I think you may be able to lock it down to being visible to only certain users but you may not want that as it looks like you might pick up new contributors by keeping it public.

Some day, I would like to do something similar regarding IRN behaviour and taming problems as people do seem to keep asking the same questions over and over again so I'll watch your process with interest despite knowing nothing about mutations and genetics!

Ellie.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Server & domains ready ! Over to Madas and the rest of the team.
for the main site: .com
The key is how to structure the website, just like making a plan for building a house.
I hope that Madas will come up with a suggestion or 2 and we can work from that.
The idea is to be structured right for ease of browsing.

* As far as the ongoing projects i suggested using the .net domain and we can leave the setup up to Madas as he knows best using redmine how it should be setup and we can start creating projects.
Recio & et al... keep the ideas coming.

Madas, will the ongoing projects be visible to the public? if not, we could have a page that gets updated regularly as to what projects are on and their progress?!

------
Ellie,

You should start making the website.
i am sure we'll find a spot for it

I have a website under construction ringneck.com.au
we could use pets.ringneck.com.au as your website if you wish.
Are you able to make your website offline and once ready we can upload it, afterwards we can discuss easiest way for you to update it, through ftp etc...

Ben
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus,

I agree.
as i said earlier for public: we could have a page that gets updated regularly as to what projects are on and their progress?!

so work will be done using redmine software, all info will not be visible only to the members, once we have data ready for public it'll be listed in the projects list... something like that. so pics/info etc will stay confidential.
Madas will be able to tell us more.

madas

Post by madas »

Ring0Neck wrote:

Server & domains ready ! Over to Madas and the rest of the team.
for the main site: .com
The key is how to structure the website, just like making a plan for building a house.
I hope that Madas will come up with a suggestion or 2 and we can work from that.
The idea is to be structured right for ease of browsing.

* As far as the ongoing projects i suggested using the .net domain and we can leave the setup up to Madas as he knows best using redmine how it should be setup and we can start creating projects.
Recio & et al... keep the ideas coming.

Madas, will the ongoing projects be visible to the public? if not, we could have a page that gets updated regularly as to what projects are on and their progress?!

------
Ellie,

Are you able to make your website offline and once ready we can upload it, afterwards we can discuss easiest way for you to update it, through ftp etc...

Ben
Hi Ben,

i haven't got the server details yet. :(
Did you get the pm with my email? If not send the details to mada_s(at)ymail.com.

thx in advance.

madas
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

All sorted.
Tartan ringnecks

Post by Tartan ringnecks »

Hi all

Sad to see that you all wont to break away and start a nother
group.

Info that has come out on this forum has been great and open
To all who like to follow.

Q. How do we join this group
Kev
madas

Post by madas »

Tartan ringnecks wrote:Hi all

group.

We don't break away. We only start a project-page for a genetic research propose. But it is all in the begining.
Persons who are really interested in this project (may be projects ;) ) could join. Details sould be published within the next two weeks.
But as suggested by ellieelectrons we should discuss the public part here, may be in a subforum called ringneck (?genetics?) research project.

madas
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Tartan ringnecks wrote:Hi all

group.

Hi Kev, that's not at all the idea. :D

We simply want to move some of the valuable "new" information gathered here from discussions into a collection so that it is easily accessible. You will notice a lot of "What colour will my babies be?" and "What colour is my bird?" type of topics. Nothing wrong with those, except that it is often the same question that is repeatedly asked and was answered in the past. It is simply to much of an effort to go and search through old posts for those answers, so if there is a website with those generic questions are already answered, it is much simpler to simply link to an answer than to type it out again.

Also, it would be wonderful to empower novices to identify the mutations of their own birds, esp. if it can be done by asking a few easy to answer questions with 2-3 options per question (Say a first question is, "Is your bird's head colour green, blue, yellow or white?", and a simple click of the most correct answer gets you to another question or to a best guess. This tree type of structure will need to be developed by the more experienced guys, but I'm sure you can imagine that when this topic starts getting discussed, some people might start posting pictures and asking for help ID'ing their birds. So a "lounge" area where there is restricted access would keep the topic more focused and the result will benefit everyone when it is finished and goes public.

And the biggest plus side (illustrated by example), try using this forum to get a picture of a TurquoiseBlue ino. You will soon realise it is rather hard. With the new site it will hopefully be very simple.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

madas wrote:Details sould be published within the next two weeks.
But as suggested by ellieelectrons we should discuss the public part here, may be in a subforum called ringneck (?genetics?) research project.
I set up the subforum for you guys. It's the first time I've set one up, so let me know if you have any problems viewing/posting, I may not have got the permissions right. See
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27

You may also like to consider notifying Imran of your intent, he may have some good ideas for you.
Ring0Neck wrote:Ellie,

Ben
Thanks for the offer Ben. I don't think I'm ready to start yet and I'd definitely want a mobilised and enthusiastic team (such as the one you guys have built here) before I'd contemplate such a thing!... and probably I should finish my PhD thesis too, before launching something like that :)

Ellie.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

ellieelectrons wrote:Thanks for the offer Ben. I don't think I'm ready to start yet and I'd definitely want a mobilised and enthusiastic team (such as the one you guys have built here) before I'd contemplate such a thing!... and probably I should finish my PhD thesis too, before launching something like that :)

Ellie.
Come nou Ellie, that's no excuse! Otherwise I'm not allowed to help either... :lol:
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

TO: Madas, Recio, Johan, Molossus, Peter, Deon, Tiennie, Willy

UPDATES Please Read.

My VP Server is coming up for renewal and i decided i will no longer keep it and I will move the websites to another hosting acc.
this can be done unnoticed however the reason i make it an announcement is that i want to make some changes

Reason for update:

I have noticed that no work/updates were made in a long while by anybody on the website.
Website is designed under Redmine and it is a great software for projects however...
the website feels too technical & not friendly hence the lack of work done thus far.

I think that most existing members will agree with above and i done up a website powered by Wordpress & i suggest we move to this website design.

Benefits:
user friendly, reading, posting pics, posting posts/articles, commenting.
non members can comment (subject to admin approval) can "like" button (on public pages/posts/articles)
We can still have Private pages (or pages for chit-chat) where one would have to be a logged in member in to view/add etc.

Downside i can see is losing the features of project management.

This is the website that i suggest we use:
and please comment yes/no to the proposed idea.

please view the website and let me know.

http://irnpw.com/

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

I want in , just tell me how I can help .
I want to learn as much as I can .
How do we join ?
Robert
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Robert.
Noted.
Meanwhile as you can see you can contribute (subject to approval) & read public posts.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Indian Ringneck Vic

Post by Indian Ringneck Vic »

Hi Forthcoming Committee Members and Others

I have been reading postings on this Forum for sometime now and regard this new initiative worthwhile.

I do warn that the New Forum will need a rigid of Code of Conduct as touched on by Molossus. This constitution will need to be rigid and ALL Members will need to be made aware that any deviations or breaches will not be tolerated.

As to some of the thoughts with regard to the New Forum being Public or Private my feeling is the Private Forum has a sense of being a 'clicky school boy group' (elite) which will be your first step towards failure as this will segregate you from the rest of the fancy and lead to disharmony. Ego's will need to be kept in check and covered under a ruling under the Constitution (for all your Members).

My advice would be to stay Public, keep the Forum tight and earn respect which will benefit your endeavours.

Keep in mind other members of the fancy are likely to be visiting the Forum and not necessarily be active in commenting on your Topics and I believe this feature is one area of focus for all to be mindful of.

Cheers
Paul
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Update:

I previously said : "Downside i can see is losing the features of project management."
i have installed the project management plugin that now allows us to use project setups as well.

read about the plugin:
http://wordpress.org/plugins/wedevs-pro ... reenshots/
also i added CollabPress
http://wordpress.org/plugins/collabpress/

we can choose 1 out of the 2

Paul,

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.

I'm an Explorer
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Hi Ben,

How do I go about getting a user name and password?

Regards,

Peter
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Peter,

It will be emailed to your address you used to register first time.

Site is under contruction ATM just got too many things on

All existing members will receive the login details once setup.

If anyone is really good with Wordpress pm me.

Ben
I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Member's Updates:

To make it easier for all members using the genetics site i thought we should use a similar format as this forum.
because all of us are already used to the forum style format, upload pics etc...

I thought why not use same style format and saves the trouble of everyone learning the ropes of a new application
Please check it out below:
http://ringneck-genetics.com/index.php/ ... -projects/

only members will be able to post, comment etc within this section.

Once we are setup..the rest of the site can be utilised in many ways, like writing a solo article, uploading pics by mutation etc..
Members can start using the current-projects section.

Feedback welcome

I'm an Explorer
prodigy

Post by prodigy »

Got it thanks Ben!
trabots

Post by trabots »

Feedback welcome
Why the 15 digit password requiring numerical, alphabetical in upper and lower case, and punctuation symbols? Will our money really be safe??
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Lol Willy,

It is an auto-generated random secure pass, with these long passwords is best to save them or use copy/paste.
I don't have that secure pass for my bank but it will give us something to think about, as it did,
anyone can change back to one of their own pass-s.

I'm an Explorer
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus

You're right, due to rights for members other then admin can not see
working on the site now.
Molossus: pics; i just tried and it works fine. are you using internet explorer..?
go to: Media->add new button -> choose pics from ur sys, once uploaded you can see it gives you a link you can use to show that pic, even here, s-think like this:
http://ringneck-genetics.com/wp-content ... /gbcup.jpg

Once uploaded you could also click on Attach and it gives you the posts where you want that pic attached.

** For uploading many pics and fast i will setup an FTP acount for all to use. i will email the details once done.

I'm an Explorer
Recio

Post by Recio »

Hi everybody;

We are all thinking of some very interesting projects involving quite rare and expensive mutations for which many questions have arised. The problem is that those mutations are not available to everybody world around and we are missing many possible contributors. What about trying to answer some simple questions as a first step? Ex:
Respective to IRN weigth ...
Which is the normal weigth and its deviation? ... for males and females, of course ...
Are there mutations showing a higher or lower weigth? Is it due to the mutation itself or to linked genes?
Is there a seasonal change in the weigth or our birds? ... is it the same in males and females?
Is the weigth of the females prior to the breeding period correlated to the number of eggs produced in the first clutch?

Since at any moment in the world there are birds in different seasons (in Europe it is the end of the summer but in Australia it is the end of winter) this kind of study could quite easily be accomplish and everybody could contribute with their birds to increase the statistical power of the analysis.

We just need to weigth our birds, to say the age, the sex, the mutation and known splits and where we live ( ... in order to determine the season for temperate countries).

Regards

Recio
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I'm an Explorer