Another young IRN taming concern

Moderator: Mods

ppony

Another young IRN taming concern

Post by ppony »

Another taming question

SO. I got my first IRN in late May. He was a hand fed baby, never in contact w/ his parents. Once he was weaned, he was sent to me.

He in constantly around us but has his own space in the living room where we are most of the time. He spends most of him time outside of his cage. Either on it or on a play station. He just goes ito the cage to eat or drink occasionally and sleep. He does step up and we got him to do that within a few weeks of him arriving, but over the past month pr so, he’s gotten really snotty about doing it and will NOT stay on my hand for the life of me. Not that he ever did for more than a few seconds. He will either insist on climbing to my shoulder no matter how many times I remove him and try to get him to stay on my hand, even offering treats ONLY when he’s there. Or he’ll just fly back to his cage or the floor and try not to have to get on my hand again. He is clipped so his “flying” is just falling w/ style or I’m sure I’d never get him out of the “rafters”. He does appear to be quite happy. he does pretty warbling songs daily and crawls all over me, especially when I am eating myself. But I cannot get him to stay on my hand/finger. I also cannot get him to let me scratch his head or neck. I know how as I’ve had birds before but getting hi to let us do anything is painful at times, He’s a biter though we’re not afraid of the votes and don’t let them make us back off. I do take him out of the room he knows to my studio where I work and have him sit on my shoulder for a while so he’s forced to be with me w/o escaping, but again, that’s on my shoulder. And while I don’t mind him on my shoulder, I really want him to be comfortable on my hand for many obvious reasons.

All that said, I’ve read the stickie here and many of the threads as well as having combed the web over the past few months. I’m just frustrated that I don’t know what to do to get him more comfortable w. me and be OK w/ sitting on my hand w/o escaping and allowing a scratch.

ADVICE? It makes me sad that I don’t know how to help him. THANK YOU
sanjays mummi

Re: Another young IRN taming concern

Post by sanjays mummi »

He needs more time, four months is nothing!, and the more you try and insist, the more disobliging he will be. You don't know if he's had a bad experience, maybe being handled to have his wings clipped has put him off?, with dogs we call it "hand shy", I'm personally against clipping, I have 12 ft high ceilings, and my bird has never had to be coaxed from the chandelier, they are uber nosey!, and not being part of things really isn't their style. Anyway, give your bird More Time, :-bd
AJPeter

Re: Another young IRN taming concern

Post by AJPeter »

Sanjay's Mummi is right, more time is needed there is no hurry, try using a stick to pick him up.