Help with my 5 mth old ringneck

Moderator: Mods

birbalert

Help with my 5 mth old ringneck

Post by birbalert »

So I bought a ringneck from a pet store was told he was hand reared (and told he was male but not sure). He was housed with two other birds in a fairly small cage. We wanted to get two birds but they advised against it so we just got the one (me and my bf have a lot of time to spend with him so he is very rarely alone) Brought him home and we have a very large cage with lots of toys and we let him spend hours outside his cage, whenever we are sat with him we let him come out which he will do so gladly. However, after having him for about a month now he still will absolutely not let us handle him or touch him. He will take food out of our hands but for anything other than that he seems afraid of hands. I can't even get him so step up for his favourite treat he will just freak out at the presence of a hand and move away. He will bite if the hand is too close. Is this bluffing or does he just have a fear of hands? (Which I don't understand if he's this lovely hand reared baby we thought he was :cry: ) Aside from that though he is such a lovely pet so funny and clever and I think he's trying to talk already! I just wish he would let us handle him as I think it would strengthen our relationship. He also had his wings clipped but he has started flying to random places in the room because he can still fly a little bit I just don't want him to hurt himself. Also myself and my bf are first time bird owners but we did a lot of research I feel lost as to why nothing is working and I don't see much progress just new day same bitey bird. Any advice would be much appreciated as I don't know what else to do :-\
AJPeter

Re: Help with my 5 mth old ringneck

Post by AJPeter »

You need to be patient, there is a lot of advice here but above all else keep us posted as to you progress, so many people ask advice and we never hear from them again.