Two Indian ringnecks

Moderator: Mods

amit2676

Two Indian ringnecks

Post by amit2676 »

Dear All,

I have bought two indian ringnecks 2 months now, want to know about them from all the gurus here .
I bought it from market and seller told me one is male and other is female and both are around 3 months .
Please there pictures.

Have following questions:-

1)Which are male/Female i know one can not tell this until they reach adulthood , any guesses?
2)why one parrot's tail is not growing ?
3)How old this parrots are ?
4(Healthwise how they look?
5)The one with small tail shouts loudly
6)This are not friendly as they run away as soon as i start feeding them , they are scared
7)I am feeding them with seasonal fruits , is it ok?

Regards,
Amit
Attachments
prrot3.JPG
prrot3.JPG (41.82 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
parrot4.JPG
parrot4.JPG (44.77 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
parrot2.JPG
parrot2.JPG (62.47 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Parrots1.JPG
Parrots1.JPG (65.26 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
sanjays mummi

Re: Two Indian ringnecks

Post by sanjays mummi »

They are younger than 3 months, because they still have little black "boot button" eyes, and the tail has not grown in properly yet on one of them.
As for gender, only DNA sexing can tell you, at such a young age, whether they are male or female.
If they were aviary hatched and parent reared they are semi feral, or they may have been kidnapped from the wild, therefore it will take a lot of time and patience to gain their trust, be prepared to wait months, maybe more, but start by offering treats through the bars. They may find some foods difficult to begin with, my bird couldn't pierce certain fruits and veggies to get to the seeds at first, because of immaturity.
amit2676

Post by amit2676 »

Dear ,

Thanks for your kind reply,
this parrots are with me since 2 months now , so age i suspect should be atleast 5 months.
This are really scared when i put my hands inside the cage and when i feed they need after i take my hand out of the cage.
I speak with them teach them daily and they seems to be listening as they make very loud noise.
I a m in india what shall i feed them daily so that all the vitamins they get on daily basis?

Regards,
Amit
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hi Amit, I live in the UK and buy a lot of foods from the Asian market stall, vitamin A is essential, so I buy peppers, I buy guavas, bitter melon, papaya, lychee, and other fruits like melon, papaya, apples and oranges, she also loves prickly pear. Corn on the cob, garden peas, broccoli, They are predominantly seed eaters, and love to bore through fruit and veg to get to the seeds, apple and pear seeds are poisonous, so I offer these fruits in slices, kiwi is another fruit they love, They will eventually settle and won't be so afraid, if you sit beside them when you eat, they will come to see what you have, they can have a little hard boiled egg or piece of chicken, this is for protein, maybe once a week. I skewer my birds foods, except for melon, and I put passion fruit on top, she adores passion fruit. Another good source of Vitamin A is walnut pieces, and they love roasted peanuts, later on they will be able to crack the peanut shells. For now though, you may have to cut their fruit and veg up for them, and offer them oranges in segments.
Bette
amit2676

Post by amit2676 »

Dear,

not tried boiled egg and boiled chicken as i was told this are vegetarians
I am feeding them now following :-
1)Red/Green chillies
2)Tomatoes
3)sprouts which are overnight soaked
4)guavas
5)They love mango
6)Lychee they dont eat i tried once
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Tomatoes are poisonous to them, and they need hard boiled egg or cooked chicken for protein, actually, in the wild, they will occasionally eat an insect for protein. If you read the information on these boards it will help. My bird does not eat green chilli, red, yellow, and orange peppers only. And prefers bitter gourd (karelia) when they are red inside. I buy tinned lychees because they are bigger, and stoned, but I rinse the syrup off.
amit2676

Post by amit2676 »

Dear ,

Boiled egg i will try , shall i give yellow part also egg yolk?
But i have asked few they say non veg one should not give to them ? is that a myth?
amit2676

Post by amit2676 »

Dear,

Can you post pic of your parrot ?
Would like to see to :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I don't know how!, but I will try.
Yes, my bird loves egg, especially the (yellow) yolk, but I only offer it maybe once a week. Do not feed avocado, potato, onion or garlic, these are also poisonous (toxic).