How do I tame this young scared IRN?

Moderator: Mods

LittleLemon11

How do I tame this young scared IRN?

Post by LittleLemon11 »

So I got an IRN yesterday and he/she feels scared and whenever I put my hand or perch inside the cage she/he literally flips out. The 'breeder' told me that I should grab him and pet him, but I think that's totally wrong. :-s
sanjays mummi

Re: How do I tame this young scared IRN?

Post by sanjays mummi »

The "breeder" should know better!, a terrified bird can simply drop dead, their hearts cant take it.
Furthermore, if it survived, it will Never learn to trust you. Everything you need to know is on this forum, keep reading.
LittleLemon11

Post by LittleLemon11 »

sanjays mummi wrote:The "breeder" should know better!, a terrified bird can simply drop dead, their hearts cant take it.
Furthermore, if it survived, it will Never learn to trust you. Everything you need to know is on this forum, keep reading.
Well it isn't that scared it is just extremely cautious and 'breeder' isn't really a 'breeder' and unfortunately most birds where I bought my IRN are wild caught. My IRN, though, was brought from Holland. I don't know his exact age but the 'breeder' told me that he or she is 5 months.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Regardless of whether your bird was imported or caught in the wild, grabbing a semi feral or feral bird is wrong on all levels, and here in the UK, capturing wild birds etc is illegal.
Five months seems suspiciously old, if you suspect or know this person is selling captured feral birds, you really shouldn't be encouraging the practice by lining their pockets, and the authorities ought to be made aware. If someone unsuspecting introduces one of their birds to an aviary, or other pet birds, they could be introducing Avian Influenza or other infections,
nicolem

Post by nicolem »

Go slowly. Be patient. Sit next to the cage and talk to the bird; let it get used to you. Eventually, you might try to lure it over to accept food from your hand through the cage bars. When it eagerly comes to you to get food through the bars, try then opening the door and presenting the food from the opening (directly from your hand). Eventually, you can hold the food just behind your hand or arm to encourage the bird to step up. Build your relationship from there :) It will take time, but it's worth it!