ADVISE/CHECKLIST

Moderator: Mods

McShell1970

ADVISE/CHECKLIST

Post by McShell1970 »

Hi everyone, could somebody plz advise and offer anything of use that i could possibly try. I got a 5/6 month "FEMALE"???? IRN 5 days ago as previous owners by there own admission didnt have the time to give her as work commitments had changed, so I bring her home, set her living arrangements up lol, fresh food, fresh water, new toys and leave her in peace for about an hour to settle, occasionally saying hello and calling her name "INDIE", now she looks like shes listening as her head is following my voice, the trouble is when it comes to cleaning up, changing food and water because my hands go in cage she goes mental, I talk to her frequently, when i get up I say morning, I sit and chat with her and when I go to work I say bye and leave the radio on for her, and when I come in I make a point of saying hello to her before the humans in the house lol, I give her a fresh piece of fruit or veg sometimes both a day trying to find something that can hopefully become a bribe/bargaining tool lol...........I was told she is a very nervous little thing and I truly dont want her to live in fear, is there something else I can try or am I just expecting to much after 5 days........TYVM
AJPeter

Re: ADVISE/CHECKLIST

Post by AJPeter »

Yes you are expecting too much, first Indie has to grieve for the people who looked after her, and then she has to adjust to a new routine, all you can do is spend time sitting next to the cage leave her door open and eat your meals by the cage curiosity will drive her out let her come to you. Try not cleaning her so much, keep you hands out of her cage put food in bowls near her cage so she comes out at her own speed. Keep the cage door open for as much as you can. DO NOT try and force her to accept you, just be patient, read as much as you can on this site all the answers you need are there.
McShell1970

Post by McShell1970 »

I do open the cage everyday and she does venture out and I have been eating in front off her......I don't really mind tbh if she doesn't want to sit on my hand I would just like for her not to be scared.....I didn't get her to perform for me......anyways I do open her door and roof and within 5 minutes she's out and doing her own thing and is somewat entertaining to watch her do her own thing.......I do read quite a lot on here and have found most of it usefully......who knew lol.......but today I find I have a completely or nearly different bird.....after 5 days of silence my little sweetheart has found her voice.......she has been squawking and wat sounds like she's trying to talk.......and she has such a sweet endearing little voice box.........and she's been quite mischievous aswell lol......i will keep persevering as I have said I don't want her to be scared
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

You are doing very well just do not rush things go at her pace and you will have a wonderful friend.