Scared

Moderator: Mods

Melanie90

Scared

Post by Melanie90 »

I have bought indian ringneck a few months ago off somebody who said he was hand reared, can talk and tame which clearly he isn't! I let him out everyday, everytime I go next to him he flys away or if he's in his cage he's flaps around. If i stand next to the cage he goes to the opposite side. I stood next to the cage holding my one year old and he went to attack him. Can anyone help me how to get him so he's not scared? Thanks
sanjays mummi

Re: Scared

Post by sanjays mummi »

My birds breeder lied to me too, but about gender. Sanjay was aviary hatched and parent reared, and it looks as though yours was too.
It will take time and patience, first you sit beside the cage and talk to him, offer a treat through the bars, eat your meals next to the cage and offer safe morsels. When you put your hands inside the cage, do it very slowly, and avoid close contact, your bird needs to learn to trust you before he can bond with you. Sanjay will Not step up, but now he is almost seven years old, he has begun landing on me, today he perched on my knee for several minutes, but I didn't attempt to touch him, nor did I make any sudden moves.
Your bird will not trust small humans, Sanjay gives my grandchildren a wide berth, because children tend to move quickly and suddenly, and are full of funny noises. ^#(^
Melanie90

Post by Melanie90 »

Thank you I'll just have to be patient, guess it takes time. I have been sitting next to the cage and talking to him. He does make some type of noises then he squarks really loud for about 10 minutes. The food I got off the person before hand aswell has sunflower seeds init which he only eats out of it but the woman in the shop told me to take some out and give him them as treats.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Yes, sunflower seeds are ok, but birdy junk food, small amounts only, I give Sanjay walnut halves, and roasted human safe peanuts in their shells, unroasted can have traces of mold on the shells.
Sanjay enjoys a little canary seed, or budgie seed, he won't eat pellets, but their main nutrition Must come from fresh fruit and vegetables, you can find lists of the safe ones and toxic ones on these boards, there is an Asian stall on our market, so I am able to find "native" fruits and veg for him. :-bd
Melanie90

Post by Melanie90 »

Yeah coco gets his fruit, he loves that! I've tried him with some types of veg but he won't even eat it.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Try coco with peppers, long chilli, bell peppers and small ones, I spear them on a skewer, peg at the bottom to stop them falling off, peg at the top to attach to the roof, Sanjay goes crazy foraging for the seeds!, sweetcorn cobs the same, pak choi, and karelia or "bitter gourd" as it's commonly known, papaya slices because those black peppery seeds are yummy, also passion fruit, messy but the seeds crunch!, anything safe and seedy, he loves blackberries, raspberries and strawberries, all skewered, and boiled chestnuts when in season. Pomegranate is a "sometime" favourite, half a galia or cantaloupe melon in a bowl, seeds and flesh, avoid apple and pear seeds, they are toxic, and always remove pits and stones, the best grapes to offer are the seeded variety, "globe" or similar, the seeds are good for him. ^#(^
Lady-E

Post by Lady-E »

I can suggest some that I tried so far that mine loves a lot - he really likes sweet corn(I cook it a bit since it's frozen now, will offer fresh on season), also peas likes quite a lot, cucumber is a meh...can eat it but not too much, peppers he likes all, and specially their seeds! I tried broccoli today and he liked that too. He also will eat spinach stalks and not so much the leaf itself, guess he likes juices from the stalk. Carrot he doesn't really like, will just forage it and eat maybe just a bit. Tried beats and he also just foraged it and didn't eat anything from it(just colored himself with it lol). Fruits he likes almost everything we offered. Not a big fan of bananas though.Huge fan of apple on the other hand. Kiwi he takes mostly for seeds only.
And if he attacked your child please keep an eye of them when a child grows up a bit more and maybe likes to play with the bird, their bites are really strong! I should know, my fingers are still with marks lol and I have the extra tamed one who just recently started behaving like this and attacking mostly me only. We had a neighbors kid walked in when he saw a bird but at that time he was rather calm and didn't react to a child in any way.About taming him you got good advices above from sanjays mumi already that can help you more than I do since I didn't need to tame mine
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

I have a veg bowl and a fruit bowl for my bird but she does not touch the veg bowls so now l mix it all together and let her pick out what she wants.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It takes a lot of time and patience, try eating your meals next to his cage with his door closed and then after a few weeks open his door and let him take morsels from you hand, read more on the this site and you will know more than me.