My parrot doesn't want to train... Help!

Moderator: Mods

BirdyAgent

My parrot doesn't want to train... Help!

Post by BirdyAgent »

Greetings everyone. A bit of background of my parrot first. I got him this year in March when he was like 2 weeks old. He is hand reared. I didn't start any training program for him before, so this is the first time I'm training him.

I began to train him to step up on my hand, and he was really showing progress. He enjoyed it. But when I started target training with him, I noticed he isn't interested much in it. Whenever I'd tell him to target the stick, he'd bite it angrily, sometimes even my finger. At other times, he doesn't pay any attention to the stick. Why does he loose interest after targeting 3-4 times.

I'm using sunflower seeds as treats btw.
sanjays mummi

Re: My parrot doesn't want to train... Help!

Post by sanjays mummi »

2 weeks?, was he fully fledged?, that is way too young!.
I'm assuming he was captivity hatched and reared, and not semi feral like my Sanjay. If he doesn't want to play your game, then don't try and force him, the fact he bites the object And you, shows his reluctance. I have never tried to push Sanjay into anything, They bite (out of anger, or fear.
BirdyAgent

Post by BirdyAgent »

sanjays mummi wrote:2 weeks?, was he fully fledged?, that is way too young!.
I'm assuming he was captivity hatched and reared, and not semi feral like my Sanjay. If he doesn't want to play your game, then don't try and force him, the fact he bites the object And you, shows his reluctance. I have never tried to push Sanjay into anything, They bite (out of anger, or fear.
You got that wrong, lol. I said that I got my IRN in March 2016. He was two weeks old when I got him, and I raised him by myself. I hope it's clear now :).
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

No I didn't "get it wrong", two Weeks is too young to leave the breeder.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Having found a cold shoulder he sulks because he was wrong, poor bird l agree with Sanjay's Mummi l have never trained my bird she steps up if she wants to. Some people want clock work toys, As it has been said before the birds train us!
Lady-E

Post by Lady-E »

sanjays mummi wrote:No I didn't "get it wrong", two Weeks is too young to leave the breeder.
this exactly...I don't get breeders who sell their birds so young really...ok people who buy them may not know that's too young but breeders have no excuse. I know some breeders who let you reserve yourself a chick and you can visit him and they give you a chance to feed it on your own at some visits but they don't sell it not fully reared.
BirdyAgent

Post by BirdyAgent »

I'm really confused... I'm not really sure if he waa exactly 2 weeks old when I bought him, however he had pin feathers. And I have seen many people who have handfed a 2 week old chick. What is so bad about this? Please guide me, I'd be really grateful. I'm really worried now.

Moreover, it's not that the bird completely hates me and doesn't want to live with me at all. He is good with us. He'd step up easily on my hand most of the time, but sometimes bites. He has a really good relationship with my brother, he lets him scratch his head even. The problem is that my parrot's mood is really unpredictable. Sometimes he'd act like a well mannered bird, and sometimes, though rarely, he gets so angry at us. Today when I asked him to step up, he did. But suddenly started biting my fingers, I've no idea why.

I don't force him to do anything. Whenever I think he is willing to train, I begin a session. When he isn't ready for it, I abstain from any training.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Pin feathers, could be a re grow after a moult, if his eyes were completely black, then yes, he was a chickster.
As for unpredictable behaviour, parrots as a species Are unpredictable, very fickle by nature, love you one minute, try and draw blood the next, it's all part of their "charm", once you learn the signals, you will avoid being nipped or bitten.
My little one is seven now, I haven't been bitten since I first got him, and he made me bleed, that was unavoidable circumstances tho', since then it's gentle nibbles, beak bumping, and "kisses". A parrot tells you in no uncertain terms when to back off, and you soon learn to respect that. Goodness!, can you imagine the damage a large parrot could do to us?, ^#(^ ^#(^
BirdyAgent

Post by BirdyAgent »

@Sanjays Mummi I've read in one of your posts that you haven't clipped your IRN's wings. My IRN has full wings too. But at times it becomes really a big challenge to control him.. Like sometimes he'd want to sleep in the room rather than his cage. He flies all the way to the top of curtains, where it's impossible to reach him. How do I train him to go in his cage. Since it's winter, I cant let him sleep at the window, so I've to forcibly put him in the cage, and he doesn't like it ofcourse. Any help would be appreciated :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

In Sanjays case, he was the same at first, then when I'd had him a few months I got him a bigger cage, I also found that if I take all his old food out, and clean the cage while he's out, let him play out for an hour or so, as soon as he sees his fresh rations being put in his cage, he is impatient to go back in. I only let him out once a day for an hour or two, that's a long time from an animals point of view, any longer and they start getting bored and will chew things they shouldn't,
As long as they have a cage big enough to flit about in, that accommodates their long tails and wing span, and plenty to keep them occupied, i.e. foraging toys and foods, you shouldn't have a problem with them wanting to go back in.
Yesterday, Sanjay was out for 90 minutes, but because I'm waiting for his new UV light fitting, and it was a dull day, I think he was reluctant, preferring the lighter room. Towelling isn't exactly ideal, but if it is imperative for the birds safety and health, it's a necessary evil, unfortunately.