new irn owner

Moderator: Mods

jennrosie

new irn owner

Post by jennrosie »

hi all I'm new to ringnecks and acquired rosie from a bad home where she was neglected and not interacted with at all. As far as I can see she is healthy but very timid and terrified of my hand. I'm not sure how old she is at a guess I would say no older than a year. Is there any tips to help get her to trust me? thanks
sanjays mummi

Re: new irn owner

Post by sanjays mummi »

Give her time to adjust to her new home, don't let her out yet, when you clean her cage do it slowly and quietly, sit and talk to her, sing to her, eat your food near her, and offer healthy tidbits through the bars, with Sanjay this was walnut halves. Soon she will start asking for a treat, and "kissing" you through the bars.
Eventually you will be able to let her out for a fly around, and as soon as you put fresh food and water in her cage she will go back in. I time this, so Sanjay gets an hour at most, because after an hour they get bored and start nibbling and chewing things they shouldn't.
AJPeter

Re: new irn owner

Post by AJPeter »

And yet my bird is out all day, even when l go out. She did chew an electric cable that was too near her cage, but she ignores the ones on the floor. I agree with Sanjay's Mummi do not let her out until she has adjusted to her new home, about two weeks, eat your meals next to the cage when you open the door she will be more curious as to what you are doing please make sure all doors and windows are closed but if she does fly do not chase her let her settle some one where she will fly back to the cage for food and security.