My New IRN I need help

Moderator: Mods

Smykel

My New IRN I need help

Post by Smykel »

Hello

I bought this amazing bird around 2 weaks ago. I gave it time to accomodate and chill. But any time I am close to the cage my IRN turn back on me and stand somewhere in the cage. I have no idea how can I start tame or any training. I tried to open the cage and let it fly around, but take the bird back to the cage was nightmare. I had to use blanket. I am sure that this didn't help to build good relation and trust. I don't really want to clip the wings because this is still young bird (6 months). Also I am trying to sit and talk to my IRN everyday for at least 1 hour. With my observation this bird wasn't hand feed or hand trained.
I will be grateful for any advise what to do and where to start .
sanjays mummi

Re: My New IRN I need help

Post by sanjays mummi »

It is quite obvious, to me, your bird was aviary hatched and reared by it's parents, as mine was. We are talking about a semi feral bird, and if you push it, your bird could literally die of fright.
Firstly, Do Not attempt to touch or handle your bird, secondly Do Not let your bird out yet.
Sanjay is not wing clipped, personally I think clipping is barbaric.
Sit and talk, sing, and eat next to the cage, offer tasty treats through the bars, and when you clean the perches and give fresh water and rations, do this slowly, and Don't touch the bird.
After a few Weeks your bird will accept food through the bars from your fingers, and eventually you will be able to let your bird out, knowing he/she will go back in when you have put fresh food in the cage.
Sanjay is 7 yrs old now, I got him at 8 Weeks, he will not let me touch him unless it is on His terms, and only very recently rode on my arm, once again at His behest, not mine. I take a laid back approach, I have always liked my dogs and cats to be independent and do things at their own pace, so I have never pushed Sanjay, he doesn't "step up" or do tricks, he just isn't keen on hands, but I believe the fact he was aviary hatched and parent reared has had quite a bearing on this. If you give your bird respect, and the freedom to take his/her time, you will still have a sweet companion, who will call to you if you're out of sight, say a few words, greet you when you come home, and interact with you, because you are his/her "flock"