Scared Indian Ringneck

Moderator: Mods

zakn5

Scared Indian Ringneck

Post by zakn5 »

Hi, I was given an indian ringneck yesterday apparently 3-4 months old with a ring on it's right foot, i honestly don't know much about birds but he seems very distressed. I read up on the symptoms last night and it seems to be untamed and really unsettled, I don't know much about it's background but he seems physically healthy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Zak.
sanjays mummi

Re: Scared Indian Ringneck

Post by sanjays mummi »

Give him/her time to settle in, only do the necessary, sit beside the cage and talk, sing and let your bird get used to you and your voice, whatever you do Don't attempt to touch or handle your bird, it could literally die of fright. When you change food and water etc make quiet reassuring noises, after a few weeks it Should start accepting treats through the bars from your fingers, good luck!
Dishy

Re: Scared Indian Ringneck

Post by Dishy »

Making slow movements and being quiet is really best, as Sanjays mommi said. While sitting by the cage talking softly however, playing with small toys yourself can also help, but do it quietly of course. It's all about building trust, grabbing/reaching can cause fear (flight or fight response- usually flight first) Never corner a scared bird - as sanjays mommi also said they can literally die of fear. It always takes time and patience. 6 years and I still can't even hold my girl, but I'm okay with it B-) I know I wouldn't like to be grabbed by a giant :p food is always a big persuader for birds, especially fruits!

Good luck!