Taming Help needed

Moderator: Mods

Claire.t.lewis

Taming Help needed

Post by Claire.t.lewis »

Hi, about 4 months ago I purchased with my husband, an 7/8 month old Ringneck named Rico and He was hand reared.
I just need a few tips on how to gain his trust. I believe he scared of me, when he steps up he makes a low panting like noise for a few seconds.
I read that they love water so I started to give him showers, which he loves. Whilst in the shower he lets me stroke him and is perfectly at ease with this, outside I can't touch him as he squawks at me. He does this when I try to give him treats such as Apple or pear. Rarely can I get him to eat it from my hand without squawking but he has done.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Claire
sanjays mummi

Re: Taming Help needed

Post by sanjays mummi »

The best treat to offer Sanjay is a walnut half, he is quite partial to a dried fig too. Sanjay, who is probably female (I was lied to) will only let me stroke and pet him at certain times, he never bites or lunges, he just nibbles as if to say "stop that".
It's still early days for you, I've had my bird six years now, and he was aviary hatched and parent reared, not hand fed, never handled. So in a way he is still semi feral. I don't think IRN's are particularly demonstrative, they are way too independent, which is great if you want a bird who can entertain itself, without you coming home to a pile of plucked feathers at the bottom of the cage. :-bd