3 month old baby

Moderator: Mods

Sucre

3 month old baby

Post by Sucre »

We have a 3 month old turquoise IRN, we've had him for 3 weeks.

Karma was raised in a rather unusual situation. He was hand fed, but more or less roaming free with many other birds. The lady was absolutely wonderful with him. He had bonded with a baby conure she was raising, even though she had one of his siblings.

So, we got a huge cage for him, hoping he would get along with our conures at some point in time - we have 3! He is in the cage alone, but close to the conures and the budgies. The cage is full of toys, has a nice play stand on top, and he gets one on one time out of the cage. At this point, even though I know we've only had him a short time, I am really noticing the differences between ringneck behavior and conure behavior. Karma is more independent and aloof than our conures. He seems to really want to make friends with them, but they are like a little street gang and haven't accepted him yet, so we're being very cautious with their interactions. Since being caged, he also seems to be a little hand shy when out of the cage. We're working on that. He knows "step up" and will gladly step onto your hand when you open the cage, but if you try to touch him, he flies. (I don't want to clip him, just want him to get used to my touch. He hasn't been flying long and I don't believe In clipping new fledglings.) He bluffs on occasion when you reach into the cage, but once you call him on it, he stops and seems to enjoy being stroked and neck scratches.

I know he isn't going to have the same personality as my conures, and may never be a snuggle baby, but I would love to get him to the point to where he doesn't take off flying every time I try to touch him. He will happily sit on my shoulder, as long as I keep my hands away.

Any suggestions, other than patience and time?
sanjays mummi

Re: 3 month old baby

Post by sanjays mummi »

Congratulations!, you seem to be doing everything right, that's for sure. Sanjay was aviary hatched and parent reared, and he won't step up at all! In fact, he really distrusts hands, I suspect he may have been grabbed as a baby. If your chickster steps up, then I suspect it is only a matter of time before he allows further liberties. Don't be fooled! They like a kiss and tickle as much as the next bird!, I can do this as long as I don't use hands. You could try baiting him with a treat to get closer with your other hand, he nibbles you touch, sort of thing, and Please don't clip him At All, personally, it is something I hate to see, he may also learn to trust you more by observing your conures (sweet little birds aren't they?). :-bd