Indian Ringneck Biting Question

Moderator: Mods

jono1223

Indian Ringneck Biting Question

Post by jono1223 »

I have a 9-10 month old ringneck that I have had for about 6 months. She/He just barely started talking and saying phrases. :-bd It has taken a TON of work to get to this point, when we first got her she was nice and friendly, but she had a bad first day experience with hands(she got out and we had to catch her and put her in her cage using bare hands on the first day) Ever since then she's been scared of hands. I started slow, and now she loves to fly onto my arm from across the room, or step up onto my arm, but she will never step up onto my hand. Only just recently has she started to walk from my arm onto the top of my hand, she grabs the treat and runs away quickly. Even on my arm, she jumps off pretty quickly (most likely to get away from my hand) Anyway, she's getting more and more comfortable with hands, and I'm assuming if I keep luring her onto my hand with treats she will eventually become tame. Once I put only two fingers up for her to step on, instead of my whole hand, she will lunge out and nip my finger. (Not hard, doesn't hurt) Every time she does this, I walk out of the room, close the door, and wait for 30 seconds. I then go back in the room, and put my two fingers out for her to step on. If she nips again, I walk out and start the whole process over. I keep doing it until she eventually steps up on my arm, carefully walks on my hand, and reaches as far as she can to get the treat and then she jumps off. So my question is, am I doing things right? Is this method going to tame her, and get her to stop biting/nipping every time I hold my fingers out? Thanks!! Jonny
AJPeter

Re: Indian Ringneck Biting Question

Post by AJPeter »

Yes l would say you are try enticing her with a favourite treat, if you do not know which is the favourite spread them out on a plate and see which one she takes first, My hen does not like hands palm up but will step up onto my fingers when she wants to, and herein might be your answer they can be awkards at times, do not despair, if she is not responding try another day.