Taming a pair together

Moderator: Mods

Qriaz

Taming a pair together

Post by Qriaz »

Hi
I have a pair of indian ringnecks, 4 months old and wish to tame these. They have slightly started to get used to me, purchased a week ago. Nice big cage and I let them out of the cage to get exercise once a week for 4,5 hours, they went back into the cage themselves. I have tried putting fruit on a chopstick through the cage bars, they look at it but they do not eat from it. Eventually when I leave the chopstick in the cage and I leave from there, they eat from it. Twice a day I input fresh fruit into the cage by putting my hands in and they are calm. My question is how do I tame them both, or do I have to separate them to train them to take food from the chopstick, then my hand, then step up on stick, then step up on my finger etc. Can anyone help please?

Many Thanks
QRiaz
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Taming a pair together

Post by ringneck »

It seems you're going the positive reinforcement route. For this reason, continue to offer the parrots food until they take it from the tips of the chopsticks. Once the birds build up enough confidence, start using your fingers to offer the birds the pieces of fruit.

Once they confidently accept the fruit from your fingers, try to encourage them to step onto your hand gradually. Remember, it's going to take time especially because you have two ringnecks.

It is totally up to you to separate the birds for taming purposes. Just remember, because there are two birds they will always try to seek each others attention-this will especially be true due to the fact that they are untamed. Whatever you choose, just take your time and realize that you have at least 20 years ahead of you, so take things slow.

Good luck on your taming journey.

Best wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C
Qriaz

Re: Taming a pair together

Post by Qriaz »

Hi Imran

Many thanks for your reply.
I will continue with the chopstick and fruit.

Regards