Genderswap??

Moderator: Mods

HorseCrazyAshay

Genderswap??

Post by HorseCrazyAshay »

Hiya! I hope this is the right category for my post, since I have a weird question...

I currently own a pair of greens (My first IRNs!), Nippy and Hover, who are female and male respectively. Nippy's around 8 or 9 months old and since Hover has his black and rose ring, he's probably 1.5 years old. We haven't exactly confirmed if Nippy is female though. She has a light green ringneck, but the seller/breeder said that she's a male. :|

Hover tries every day to do the courtship dance with Nippy -pinning eyes, heart-shaped wings etc- and only once has Nippy ever responded. The rest of the time she's nipped him off (pun intended) :lol: I assume that it is because of the female having dominance.

Nippy's weird behavior started a few days ago, when she started doing the mating dance with Hover. She bobs her head, pins her eyes, heart-shaped wings, tall posture and she even spat out some saliva (regurgitated)- she does everything except for the 'kiss-lean-back' thing. And Hover... he just sits there, fluffed up and looking a tad bewildered. He doesn't cluck or anything though. Other than some exceptions, it's almost as if they've been genderswapped when it happens!

Why are they acting like this? It's only the males who do this, right? :?

I'd love some advice! :D

Ashay
sanjays mummi

Re: Genderswap??

Post by sanjays mummi »

I believe they can copy body language. The head back "love me" doesn't start until later. I was told by Sanjays breeder he is definitely a DNA sexed male, there was even a breast feather missing, But "he" is five now, no collar and I get the head back "kiss me" posture. I would have sued under the sale of goods act, but soon after purchase the breeder became un contactable. Anyway, as I said earlier, this could be mimicking behaviour.
HorseCrazyAshay

Post by HorseCrazyAshay »

sanjays mummi wrote:I believe they can copy body language. The head back "love me" doesn't start until later. I was told by Sanjays breeder he is definitely a DNA sexed male, there was even a breast feather missing, But "he" is five now, no collar and I get the head back "kiss me" posture. I would have sued under the sale of goods act, but soon after purchase the breeder became un contactable. Anyway, as I said earlier, this could be mimicking behaviour.
Your advice was extremely helpful! Breeders shouldn't fraud on the gender, though. Thank you and Sanjay :mrgreen:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Dna tests can be wrong, it is a small percentage but that doesn't make any difference to the person who gets the hen that was meant to be male...
Young hens will do the boy dance too. My hen will sometimes do it for a little to get the attention of our male and then switch to girly stuff to try to seduce him... It sometimes works, if he can't think of any better options...