Help taming an one and a half year old IRN

Moderator: Mods

supri23

Help taming an one and a half year old IRN

Post by supri23 »

Hello my name is Supriya. I am from Australia and I have a female IRN its been 5 months since purchased her when I purchased her she was 1 year old. Most of the times I tried taming but she is very scared and flies away like she doesn't stay in one place. Pls give me some ideas on taming my IRN.
Thanks Supriya
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Help taming an one and a half year old IRN

Post by ringneck »

First of all, welcome to the forum!

From your post, it sounds like your female ringneck is scared of humans in general. I don't know if she was hand fed, but it seems to be the she was parent raised. That being said, you want to back up a bit and reward her a lot with food.

Also, when you find she gets jittery or nervous, don't push her when she is in such a state. Rather, backup and gradually introduce her to a new situation through food and a lot of praises. Her mind has to work out that taming is not a bad thing. This confidence may take a few weeks, months, or years. However long it takes, just know that each birds is an individual and will learn at its own pace.

Try a search on our forums for "positive reinforcement." We have a great deal of other situations similar to yours.

We look forward to your taming efforts and posts! Welcome to our ringneck family! :D

Best wishes, :p

IMRAN-C