My ringneck started biting

Moderator: Mods

Aleksandrabenedict

My ringneck started biting

Post by Aleksandrabenedict »

Hi,

I have a very tame 2.5 years old Ringneck. I had him for about 2 month now. The previous owner said that he never used to bite and he never bit me or anyone around until 2 weeks ago. He become a little devil. He is still ok in the mornings and want to come to me and play. But closer to the evening he would sit in his cage and if I try to put my hand in there he will try to grab it in a nasty way straight away. Why he is behaving like that?
Thanks.
AJPeter

Re: My ringneck started biting

Post by AJPeter »

His cage is his home and you should not put your hand in especially at bed time, let hime come out to you.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

Try reading his body language earlier, when you approach the cage and he isn't in the mood to come out, back off before he has to bite you and leave him be. He can figure out how to get out on his own if he wants to.

Do you reward (ie give him a small treat) him for stepping up when he does? If not, you should.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Did you consider that in the evening he may be tired and ready for bed? My bird is often cranky if I try to bother him too late at night. NOBODY likes having their sleep disturbed.
-MissK
Aleksandrabenedict

Thanks everyone for replies.
I just was worrying that he might be not very happy in our house because he didn't behaved like that before. He would just gently push your hand away with his beak if he don't want to be touched. But now he grabs it straight away...
Also he used to climb out of cage and sit with me in evenings when I watched TV. Now he stopped it.
As long as it normal thing, I'm happy. I'm not pushing him if he don't want to come to me. I just try once and if not I leave him alone. Just was worrying that his behaviour changed.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay never bites, as a rule, but today he took exception to my removing a perch and dish for special cleaning, I ignored his nips (they weren't hard) and lunges, and just got on with it, afterwards when they were back in situ, he was asking for tickles and kisses. Sometimes it is necessary to ignore and carry on, after all this was a matter of hygiene. Otherwise just back off!.
Aleksandrabenedict

He actually got worse today. He was sitting as usual on my working table while I work and I was playing him his favourite videos on my phone. Then while I was typing on PC he literally went for my fingers to attack them... He never been so aggressive before. I would think that he is going through bluffing stage now, but I thought only young ones do that?
Not sure why he start behaving this way. I try to ignore, but he bite me really strong today..
Any suggestions on what to do?
Thank you.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

Your bird is not "bluffing". Don't ignore bites, remove yourself immediately. Better yet, remove yourself when he shows signs that he is going bite, don't wait for him to bite you.

Start by reading this article http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/arti ... 202004.pdf

It is also worth reading the other articles on that site to develop a deeper understanding. By learning the "abc's" it is easier to see more clearly what is going on and to describe it to other people.