New 11 week old ringneck, Have a few questions

Moderator: Mods

jono1223

New 11 week old ringneck, Have a few questions

Post by jono1223 »

Hi guys! I'm very new to the world of ringnecks. I just bought a beautiful grey ringneck from a breeder in my area 2 days ago. He/she has been handfed and handheld since birth. When I went to the breeders house, the bird was very friendly and stepped up onto my hand with no fear or thinking. I purchased the bird and brought him home. When I got home my dad (who thinks he is a parrot whisperer) opened the box and tried to play with it or something while I was away for a bit. It flew out and started walking around the room, scared. We had to resort to trapping it and picking him/her up. I picked her up, and she/he bit me the whole way to the cage, I didn't react and placed her inside. She is now terrified of me, and when I get next to the cage she freaks out. This makes changing water and feeding her very difficult. She will start to thrash and squawk if there is any noise when my hand is in the cage. What should I do? Was it the stress of the first day? It seems the friendly bird that I met 2 days ago is gone now. And with regards to food, am I supposed to put a lot of food in and she/he will eat whenever she's hungry? Or should I only put a certain amount in to prevent overeating? Thanks!
MissK

Re: New 11 week old ringneck, Have a few questions

Post by MissK »

Hi. I am going to not advise on behaviour since my experience is limited to adult ringnecks. However, I don't think the food for any baby should be restricted. Just make sure the food you offer is nutritious and varied, and don't feed junk. It's hard to get overweight on leafy greens. :wink:

I do think, of common sense, you should treat your bird with utmost kindness and respect for it's entire life, an no better time to start than right now. Advise dad of the same. No grabbing, no chasing. Ask that breeder to teach you how to pick up a bird in a towel. by all means consult that breeder on your issue. Start laying on the treats as well.
-MissK
InTheAir

Re: New 11 week old ringneck, Have a few questions

Post by InTheAir »

I don't have time to write much, so check out the behaviour/taming section of this forum. Most stuff by me and missk is good advice ;)
Also check out my thread of recommended reading material and check out this cool video:
http://youtu.be/tcNh1yvscbg