1 yr ringneck biting

Moderator: Mods

Lovesmybirds

1 yr ringneck biting

Post by Lovesmybirds »

So my male indian ringneck just turned 1 yr old a month ago. Recently he has started biting. He will look all excited and walk over to me to step up and then when he does he bites my finger to the point he draws blood. The little brat will even say I love you after he bites me. Is this part of bluffing? Is there any way to defer it? He doesn't do it to my fiancé only me. However he usually has a better relationship with me to the point he will sit and ask for his head to be scratched by nodding his head down and saying tickle tickle. Anything I can do about the biting? I try not to react but it hurts. I just say no. Any suggestions and will it go away? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
sanjays mummi

Re: 1 yr ringneck biting

Post by sanjays mummi »

From what I've observed, they "test" the strength of anything they plan to sit on with their beaks. As for saying "I love you", it has no meaning, he is simply mimicking what he has heard. Try not to see him as a feathered human, and keep in mind too, he may not want to step up. Sometimes the "excited" body language means annoyed.why not take a step back, and let him approach you when he is in a more affable frame of mind.
InTheAir

Re: 1 yr ringneck biting

Post by InTheAir »

sanjays mummi wrote:Try not to see him as a feathered human, and keep in mind too, he may not want to step up. Sometimes the "excited" body language means annoyed.why not take a step back, and let him approach you when he is in a more affable frame of mind.
Nicely put! My boyfriend called me out on repeating "I love you" over and over to a bird when I was medicating him, Dave pointed out that what the bird gets out of it is "I love you" means horrible things will happen!

I would also avoid interacting with him when he is showing signs of excitement/aggression.

Does this always happen in the same place or from different places? Is it happening every time you go near him?

Is he target trained? My hen responds really well to doing some simple tricks like targeting when she is in a psycho mood -when she sees herself in a mirror she tries to beat her reflection up at times and needs to be focused on something else before it is safe to interact with her and remove her from the mirror.
You can use target training to get him to step up and touch the target, instead of step up and bite. :D